Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2012 11:00

Alienware Aurora R4 GTX 690 Problems

I got delivery yesterday of my new system. Having huge problems with performance of the graphics card ( 4gb 690 Gtx). As soon as I booted and installed a couple of games etc, I noticed the performance and fps were far below even my I7 laptop at 1080p. The laptop runs a gtx 560m. Reason tells me that I should be getting 4x the speed with a 690 , however I am getting 1/2 the fps of the 560m.

Aside from the speed issue , I am also getting random flashes on the screen and extreme flicker during some games, everything is just slow and jerky, again it makes me feel like its a bus issue.

There is something seriously wrong with the machine setup.

I did the following.

1) Cleaned out all legacy NVidia drivers and reinstalled current drivers.

2) Updated bios from A02 to  A05

3) Tried a different drive running windows 8 with fresh NVidia drivers

4) Altered pretty much all the nvcs setting that may be relevant.

5) Tried the new Nvidia Beta Drivers

The strange thing is that when I run with sli disabled the fps and 3dmark score jump significantly.

I fell that there is something with the implementation of sli between the motherboard and card. Because I got this machine yesterday I do not want to start pulling apart a new machine that should have worked from the outset.

Any ideas or users having the same problems with their GTX 690 ??

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 20th, 2012 13:00

tested both cards in another non-dell custom built system. same benchmarks in that system. tried it in both slots in mine, no change. in the other non-dell custom built system we put in dual gtx 670 and got 18,000 3dmark vs 4000-8000 with the two gtx 690 cards.

Good example of proper trouble-shooting. This along with clean installing the same driver on both systems doesn't leave much to question ... problems follow the Dell -OEM-nVidia-690 .

December 20th, 2012 15:00

I did some additional troubleshooting.  Using a video card utility I watched video core speeds and changes the multi GPU flag in the driver.  Then I tested with unigene heaven dx-11 2560x1600 resolution.

Started with the flag set for multi-GPU.  Low fps 7.4. Avg 34.

Switched to single GPU.                         Low fps 32 avg 112.

Switched back to multi GPU                   Low 64. Avg 161     And the video card cratered, had to hard boot the machine.

In the first and second runs the second GPU never budged from 324 MHz.  I didn't get a chance to save the third test run data but based on the fps I'd say it was almost certainly using both cores.  The behavior in the third run is similar to what I have experienced when playing high performance games with both cores enabled.  I wish I had the data from the third run because I'd like to look at temperatures.

December 20th, 2012 15:00

Oh by the way I told dell to come any time except 2:30 pm-3:30 pm.  The tech called at 2:25pm to say he was on his way and would be here shortly.  Lol.

December 21st, 2012 10:00

Tech still didn't show by 6:00 pm.

December 21st, 2012 18:00

Tech just replaced my video card.  The old card crashed on the heaven dx-11 test about 3/4 of the way through, every time with both GPU's enabled(when they both actually worked).  The replacement card made it through two back to back tests and stayed about 5c cooler to boot, over 100FPS average, high in the 160s, low around 50.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 21st, 2012 22:00

Glad to hear your machine is working properly again. Sounds like it was just a bad card.

Good info to hear ... that Heaven can push machine hard enough to detect a bad card with a crash.

1 Message

June 14th, 2013 11:00

Omg I have this problem. I think I just found out i have TWO GTX690s.

I am getting pretty low fps on like games such as GTA 4 when i'm supposed to be getting much higher 

how do i run dual sli?

No Events found!