Kate_Smith
1 Nickel

Alienware Aurora R4 power ups automatically after power outage. normal? or setting?

Ok so I have noticed since i bought my new Alienware Aurora R4 desktop that even with a good power bar if the power goes out and comes back on the pc will boot its self back up.

Every other desktop pc I have ever owned was set up so that if the power went out, it shut down. then when the power came back on it would stay shut down. I had to turn it on myself.

But this Alienware will shut down when the power goes out. then as soon as the power comes back on it boots up instantly.

First i thought it was a power bar issue, but i have tried 3 different power bars, and my other pc (hp desktop) still stays shut down.

Im just wondering if you guys know if there is some setting i have to manually change??

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Dell-Kuldeep M
3 Silver

Re: Alienware Aurora R4 power ups automatically after power outage. normal? or setting?

Hi Kate_Smith,

Try changing the settings for ‘AC Recovery’ in BIOS. The steps are:

• Turn on (or restart) your computer.   
  • When the DELL logo appears, hit the F2 key about 6-7 times immediately.
  • Click on the ‘Advanced’ tab and click on ‘Power Management Setup’.
  • Set ‘AC Recovery’ to off and disable ‘Auto Power On’.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
Kuldeep M
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA; India. For helpful Dell Support Videos, you may click Here.

0 Kudos
Kate_Smith
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware Aurora R4 power ups automatically after power outage. normal? or setting?

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I gave that a try, the disable auto power on was already set to disabled. But i did change the ac recovery to off  and changed the suspend mode to disabled as well.

gave it a try and the pc still boots its self back up. any other suggestions?

I mean im just worried about frying it if the power flickers. i live in the city so it happens randomly. but if its not going to harm it i can leave it as is.

0 Kudos

Hello Kate_Smith!

You could try flashing the BIOS to the latest version, and make then make sure you change again the ac recovery option to “off” and the auto power on to “disable”

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Kate_Smith
1 Nickel

Thanks Milena,

My BIOS is already up to date with A07. just updated it a few weeks ago as i was having cooling issues, they just changed the liquid cooler and fan.

0 Kudos
zbestwun2001
5 Rhenium

I  am not so sure that isn't normal.

As I recall, I have had that same situation... power loss, goes back on and the system boots back up  auto.

So before you flash the BIOS again, I would double check first to see if this isn't normal, also I too  was using an Aurora R4 at the time.

Flashing the BIOS should be a last resort.   I also remember this same situation with other systems I've had, with the same response from the computer.... auto re-start.

Zb1

Dell Forum Member Since 2004 but not an employee of Dell

If this answers your question, click
  Yes  

0 Kudos