Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2017 16:00

Alienware Aurora R6 - Upgrading PSU from stock 460W to 850W

Hi All,

As noted above, I'm going to upgrade my PC's stock 460W psu to an 850W which I ordered and received from Dell.  However, the new psu didn't come with any cables or anything.  Can I use the ones from the 460W psu?  I was under the impression that I could not.  Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

August 31st, 2017 18:00

No u can't use the 460 cables (they're hard-wired), u need the 850 cables, contact Dell

Tip: search 'alienware Aurora 850' on eBay, make contact with vendor / person who has one with cables:

• negotiate for just the full cable set (worth about $50 - $75)
  • if no, buy their chassis + cables ... keep cables / re-sell chassis at discount (or hold chassis as a spare)
  • do the above (buy chassis + cables) & return your Dell chassis back to them

ProTip: Delta N1WJD is better than Huntkey 48Y6D

Buyer Beware: do not purchase or confuse 'Area-51 850w cables', only buy Aurora case harness cables which are sized for your smaller computer case

edit speedstep‌ > top of your post has incorrect Aurora R1-R4 875w power supply / case harness, bottom of post has incorrect Area-51 R2 850 cable set (see 'buyer beware' above); correct pics / info relative to Aurora R5 R6 is above & below

*R5 R6 share the 51-R2 power supply but get their own unique cable set

*R5 R6 will have either one of the shown cable versions, paired to Delta N1WJD or Huntkey 48Y6D

*It's because N1WJD is modular they shipped just the chassis w/out cables - in error, on purpose or @ a price

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 31st, 2017 21:00

I've never seen a 460w PS in person, but I thought someone said the wires were hard-wired in (non modular).

I don't think there is "a standard" for modular cables so I would get the proper Dell ones. If would be bad if something burned-up when you turn it on the first time.

Yeah, as Cass-Ole‌ says, you definitely want the Delta N1WJD 850w over the HuntKey (see my Bookmarks).

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 1st, 2017 10:00

The N1WJD is a modular power supply with many wires not a harness.

NRHJ9 Dell Alienware Aurora R2 R3 R4 56-Pin Power Supply Harness Assembly Wiring Cables is a big Square

T5500 T7500 power supply 875W Alienware Precision Power Supply W299G J556T U595G 

http://www.memory4less.com/dell-data-and-power-cable-nrhj9

nrhj9

Dell Precision J556T T5500 875W Power Supply

Dell J556T Alienware Aurora R4 875W Power Supply H875EF-00 D875E001L w Bezel | eBay 

N1WJDV2

AREA 51 power supply

9 Posts

September 1st, 2017 10:00

Thanks to both Cass-Ole and for the quick replies!  

I actually lucked out and the PSU I received is the Delta N1WJD.  I also spoke with a customer service rep who stated that they will be shipping the required cables!  Otherwise I will use Cass-Olé's suggestion and just try to purchase them on eBay or elsewhere.

Thanks again, loving my new machine!!!!!!

9 Posts

September 3rd, 2017 08:00

Very interesting! I'm waiting to see what Dell support says about the cables. Prior to purchasing I specifically asked if they would be included with the 850w PSU and was told they would be (they weren't).

Would you happen to know the Part # for cables that are compatible with the R6? Have been searching online without much luck.  Found a few used PSUs with cables so worst comes to worst can reach out to the sellers if Dell cannot help me out. 

Thabks again, this forum has been very helpful so far. Proud to be a fellow Alienware owner

9 Posts

September 5th, 2017 14:00

So I was just informed by Dell that they no longer carry the cables and aren't sure if they will ever be carrying them again (have the chat transcript for my records).

I will be returning the N1WJD to Dell.  Terrible customer service.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 5th, 2017 20:00

rriipptt wrote:

1. So I was just informed by Dell that they no longer carry the cables

2 have the chat transcript for my records).

1. They have plenty in Mexico or where-ever they assemble the Aurora-R6.

2. Call Dell Parts on the phone. They might not be free, but they should have them.

Then again, I don't think it's too hard to find an aftermarket one that will fit. There are threads here about R5/R6 swaps.

9 Posts

September 5th, 2017 20:00

A call to Alienware Tech Support proved to be most helpful (thanks Tesla1856).  I am now being shipped the following cables:

Qty Part # Description
1 MD63V ASSY PCIE Power Cable, 8 Pin, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1 JX68G ASSY 2nd GFX PCIE Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1 GP6MV ASSY CPU Power Cable, 4 Pin, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1 G2GX9 ASSY HD+HD Power Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1 G9Y40 ASSY 1st GFX PCIE Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1 654MT ASSY Main Power Cable, 24 Pin, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)
1 4NT8R ASSY HD+ODD Power Cable, (850 Watt, For Alienware Aurora R5)

Although it has been a frustrating experience, each Dell representative that I spoke with was extremely apologetic, understanding and patient.   I recommend anyone having issues with spare parts/upgrades to contact Alienware Tech Support directly via telephone.  

17 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 19:00

I'm not a Alienware user, but i do have the Dell Inspiron Gaming 5675. I was told by a dell rep that the N1WJD would be the proper Dell supply, replacement for my system, currently it's has the awful (according to every Dell page) D460AM-03. It seems what they did to the R5's they also did with the new Inspiron 5675's, nice way to launch a product, shitty psu's. The 460 isn't even 80 plus. I'm just check to make sure. I want a stable, PSU, that wond crap out on me, and allow the upgrades i want, eventually switch the Ryzen 7 1700X (Apparently with proper cooling we can get xfr boost to 3.8, yay), for a zen2 or zen 3 chip a few years down the road, since AM4 will last for a bit, and expand my gpu, currently the RX 580 8GB, or crossfire with another 580 8GB, maybe add liquid cooling, once i figure out what the Dell special cooler is, H60 won't work as case fan size is 90mm, deffinitely add more hdd, i'm fine with the 256 sata m.2 ssd as boot, but the 1tb mass needs a brother.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 23rd, 2017 09:00

Even if you can order a Delta 850w N1WJD, there is no assurance it will come with it's matching modular cables (as described above). Yes, it's pretty good and is installed in many different Dell and Alienware desktop these days.

However, since whatever you install is going to be a non-stock upgrade that you are paying for yourself ... have you considered just installing a nice Corsair?

Aurora-R5, PSU (power supply unit) size? 

and more thoughts here:

4 Posts

November 13th, 2017 19:00

You wouldn't happen to have pictures of the 850W connections to the motherboard, would you? I'm upgrading from the 460W and I want some visual guidance.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

November 13th, 2017 20:00

CPU 8pin 4+4s can couple & be an 8pin when needed or detach into separate 4s when needed (one used / one not used) > more details are in your service manual PDF or online at Alienware Services uTube channel in disassembly vids

when the forum transitioned, all the old links were broken, swap pics are hard to find, here's a low-res from uTube

Split a 4+4 up top, solid 8pin into GPUPWR, 24pin over on the right, install remaining Grfx / SATA, cable manage & close it up > let someone know how it went & what u put in yours

4 Posts

November 13th, 2017 21:00

Holy cow. You're an Alienware god. Hopefully, I can do this upgrade without blowing up my kid's Christmas present. Thank you a billion times!!

No Events found!