Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2012 09:00

Alienware Aurora Upgrade Decision...

I have been looking over the forum and several threads on 1366 vs 1155 vs 2011, but I have a unique situation. I currently have an Alienware Aurora R2, these specs:

i7 920
24GB 1333 Corsair memory
300GB Intel SSD/RAID 5 3TB
295 GTX Nvidia

I want to upgrade the processor and the video card (another thread on this), but I think I want to deal with the CPU part first. I have the option to upgrade to a i7 980 for $589, and that would push me up to a six core with awesome crunching power. My other option is to upgrade the CPU, and mobo, but here is the problem. I want to keep my light functions on my system, so I would have to get a Alienware R4 (2011 socket) mobo, correct? This second option may pose a challenge, how to procure a R4 mobo, as they are rather new out.

So I can either..

a. Upgrade to a i7 980 = $589 and call it a day.
b. Upgrade to a i7 3930 = $600, and a Alienware mobo (who knows how much this could cost)
c: Upgrade to a i7 3930, forget the lights, and get a top shelf 2011 board. (Last ditch option)

Any input on this would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

A post-upgrade note, I will sell the 920 so that would recoup some cost of course.

19 Posts

April 8th, 2012 14:00

Hi Majas,

I have the Alienware R2 system fully intact just to be clear. The R2 MIO board is not the same part number as the R3 MIO, not sure of differences.

On the plastic bracket, when you remove the motherboard you will see a plastic bracket with 4 screws in it the the cooler screws into on the tray. This bracket on the R2 based system only works with the 1366 board, as it is not in the correct position for an 1155 nor 2011 based board. The metal bracket on the Asetek cooler on the R2 system will not fit an 1155 board either. I found this out the hard way, but it was fun in learning this. If you have a R3 Aurora, you can upgrade to another 1155 board with no issue.

The only solution to resolve this is to get a motherboard tray from an R3 system, and none were to be found. The cooler from an R3 system was hard pressed to find as well, none anywhere on Ebay, etc. I called Dell, and the prices for these parts were way out of pocket. I would have had to buy a motherboard with the tray, get another cooling system that would fit the 1155, and I would still have the issue of the front I/O with no USB front 3.0 ports, firewire would no longer work, and other issues. I thought about this option, but decided to just go with a new custom build and get away from the several limitations that come with mATX boards, and have full control what I wanted in my system. It was a preference thing in the end. I thought about the lighting, I never change the colors anyway, always on blue. So I have blue LED's in the Corsair case I have now. Looks awesome.

What I do have for sale is the Asus Maximus GeneZ Z68 board, brand new in the box with all accessories. I saw that you were looking for this, let me know if you want it on PM.

5 Posts

April 8th, 2012 14:00

Hi!

Do you have the Aurora case + R3 mobo for sale?

Did you find out if the R2 MIO (dougtherboard) is the same as the R3?

What you mean plastic bracket? Please explain me.

Thanks!

19 Posts

April 8th, 2012 15:00

Yes, my ebay is bhines5, take a look. I bought the motherboard at Fry's on March 10th, all documentation and accessories are included. The model is the Gene-Z/Gen3, Z68 chipset, PCI 3.0 ready. PM for more information... 

5 Posts

send me you mail by PM

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Comparing R2 and R3(non-ALX) ... there is no reason for the MIO-Boards to be different.

Part numbers are likely different because it's technically a different machine model.

19 Posts

I am assuming the same, just part numbers.

19 Posts

April 8th, 2012 16:00

Add me as a friend so I can PM you...

2.4K Posts

April 8th, 2012 20:00

Comparing R2 and R3(non-ALX) ... there is no reason for the MIO-Boards to be different.

Part numbers are likely different because it's technically a different machine model.

I can also confirm that the ALX MIO board works on a non ALX system. I have the ALX MIO in my non ALX Area 51. The only difference I could see was the connection for the motorized front door which mine doesn't have.

348 Posts

April 8th, 2012 21:00

Not related to this per se, more related to the looking for a NAS.

Avoid Seagate Black Armor, I had a double Raid 1 drive failure due to the thermals failing and unit cooking the drives. Seagate offered to swap the drives but not if I sent them to anyone but them for recovery, so ditch seagate.

Give Synology a good long look, its basically a fully operational linux server with dlna and everything already built in, had no issues with the 2 I bought (weeks apart).

They can even run on a wireless dongle so no wires at all :)

No Events found!