This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2016 11:00

Alienware Aurora r4 PSU change

Hello, since my psu is coil whining i would like to change it

i've been looking for a few psu's and found this one

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=210-GQ-0850-V1

is it good?, does it fit in the aurora r4 psu section? Will it connect to the plastic back the normal psu is connected to on the back?

Also i don't know anything about the sata cables but does it have as much as the normal psu i mean will it be able to connect to everything like it did now ? (only modif that needs more sata is adding two extra hdd/ssd's (there were spare sata cables)

and... do i need anything extra than this? (a few cables or something?

I don't wand to buy the same psu again because seeing how this one survived ...

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

October 11th, 2016 14:00

Hi. I will address this, knowing other users may need the info. Your old case harness will be removed, the new chassis will have its own cables. The EVGA 850 GQ is ok, but the G2 is better, find it or them on Newegg / eBay / EVGA.com etc

I posted here, p4 #31, a list of swap links & material, so go there, some links re-direct here, like this:

4278_CIMG6966 - Copy.JPG

non-ALX has front SATA, so any SATA cable types work

image%20-%20Copy.jpg

ALX chassis has rear SATA

8688_PTDC0001.JPG

which need a certain type of short low-profile SATA head, like the originals

• non ALX can use either type, due to the front access
  • ALX must use 'pass-thru' heads, like the originals, if power is connected at case wall

24657.Capture.JPG

EVGA uses these basic types with non-ALX SATA heads

2112.s-l1600.jpg

'standard heads'

0068.PTDC0002.JPG

above, my Corsair cable has ALX-type pass-thru heads:

• the plastic is a two-piece, the back insulator snaps off
  • in an ALX install, with the above cable, I would pop the top head off, cut the wire to length, & apply two heads on it to mimic the original as close as possible

If I had the EVGA type SATA?, I would buy x4 pass-thru heads online:

6825.Capture1.JPG

note the two types of rear caps: 'end cap' (for top insulation) & pass-thru-cap

I'd use these to 'build' my own cable pair to match the original cable pair, best I could. I might simply shop for any spare cable that used pass-thru heads, like here. My ALX has a hand-made cable set, I've already done the SATA cable mod, so they mimic the original case harness. Non-ALX chassis may not need that type of care

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7rWKDBIHA:550:0]

video: if your ALX means you need to transfer new SATA heads on 

5611_PTDC0001.JPG

note the need for the extra-long screwdriver to get at case wall screws

Search 'Aurora power supply' (Aurora psu swap) or similar terms, look for images which might link you to posts made by other users

• not that X-Fire / SLI configs do best when flat ribbon cables are used
  • EVGA uses sleeved round cables, so cable manage best you can

All ATX power supplies are 5.9" x 3.4", it is the length that is the variable, & 'all' PSU chassis' 'should' fit Aurora R1-R4, with a chassis length 7.5" (190mm) & shorter: example EVGA G2 is 7.1" length = ok, & my Seasonic 1250 is 7.5" length, about the max a person wants. Please read everything in all the links I've already posted in, I will not be able to help past what I posted here. Get the G2 if it feels right for your case & know-how (=

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

October 12th, 2016 07:00

5736.ps2sbd.jpg

It should Goldilox in the case. The fan will face down & have room to breathe after its bolted in place. The G2 has a 700mm CPU cable = 27.5"  so it should reach without need of an 8pin CPU / EPS extension (most CPU cables are 24"). If you'd like to invest in a CPU 8pin extension before it gets there, just in case, they're less than $10, get a black one.

some hand-space to work with, & cable manage the longer vidcables

below, the 'boss' / stud, may prevent acrylic trim going back on, using longer chassis ~7.5"

83634.Capture.JPG

7713.PTDC0009.JPG

my 1250, fan faces down, custom-length cables & smoked acrylic trim doesn't go back on

I'm getting my baby Knight Fury a Seasonic Platinum 1000 soon because all the cables will interchange, & the 1250's going into my new Area-51 I purchased 8weeks ago. I talked about my swap here, The ALX-Files: A Triad of Power Supply Swaps ... & the thing is, I linked you to posts which themselves might have a link to someone else's post, I gathered that NotebookReview so that anyone with questions & concerns like yours might be met, so long as you're willing to read up 1st (=

#1 - & don't forget I said it - work like a sloth, & be smart about every move you make: Aurora's are tiny frustrating creatures to work on & work with ... just take your time, so nothing gets broke. I've got a good feeling the two of you'll get by ok with the G2

11 Posts

October 12th, 2016 06:00

Hello first of all tnx for your answer

But still a few things to say/doubts i know you sayd you can't help past but hey i

1. ok i'm going to go for the G2 then it seems good: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

2. i (luckily) have the non alx version so they're on the front

Second so if i understand correcly the G2 that i've linked works pefecly on my pc? no ajustements needed? no extra or special cables needed? can i just buy this and mount it in peace witouth the annoyance of waiting weeks after buying to order and recieve a few extra cables...?

also i've noticed that there's a fan intake on the top the psu bin thing is ''closed'' on top? won't this be an issue?

Anyway thank you again for your help

No Events found!