Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2016 17:00

Alienware Crashing Issue

I have had this issue with the computer since it has been purchased. The computer will start fine and run properly for roughly ten minutes, but then it will slow down and crash. It will work fine without any crashing once restarted after this.

If no intensive program is being used, the computer will simply run less intensive programs (videos, etc.) slowly and the sound will crackle and eventually cease. Then, the screen will freeze and the computer needs a restart.

If a computer game is being played, it will run fine for about 5 minutes, then start freezing, the sound gets stuck, and sometimes the computer automatically restarts and bluescreens. The problems stop when the computer is restarted.

I do not know what causes these problems. It is not that the games are too intense or the system is overheated. I think it may be a program that tries to run but fails and freezes the computer. I cannot tell which program might be doing this.

Any ideas?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

December 26th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Try a clean boot to see if that will fix the issue. Here is an article that will show you how to do it:

www.dell.com/.../SLN146749

Let me know!

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2017 10:00

I have updated to BIOS A14 and updated the NVIDIA drivers. But Still the computer will freeze, recover, and need to restart. It gives the message:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

And later the message:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3

1653(273c) 00000000 00000000

Is the driver corrupted? How does one fix this?

January 2nd, 2017 12:00

Hi Josephneu

I had a similar issue with my Alienware 17 R4 which eventually caused an error 43 on my GTX1070 in device manager (essentialy deactivating the GPU), also my laptop started running much much hotter just at idle and battery estimated time where it normally showed roughly 5 hours at 100% now showed only 2 hours.

What worked for me was:

1) Unistalled the nVidia dgraphic drivers - Restarted

2) Uninstalled the Intel graphic drivers - Restarted

3) Ran the Bios installation again (it will just ask to replace the same version)

4) Installed Intel Graphic drivers obtained from Dell support site - Restarted

5) Installed newest nVidia drivers obtained ftom nVidia's site - Restarted

This fixed the nVidia GPU, battery was back to normal and CPU not running hot during idle (although my CPU still runs a bit too hot to my liking under load at stock speeds).

No Events found!