Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2014 04:00

Alienware Deutschland (Germany)... wirklich so unflexibel bei Konfiguration?

Hallo,

ich habe mir einen Alienware 17 rausgesucht und zB 2 1TB SSD gewünscht. Dazu noch einen Prozessor der so bei dem ersten Modell zur Auswahl stand. Als Antwort habe ich bekommen dass man das nicht machen kann und man hat mir genau die Konfiguration geschickt die man auch im Konfigurator einstellen kann.

Ist Alienware mittlerweile wirklich so unflexibel dass man nur noch die Kombinationen bestellen kann die im Angebot sind? Was soll ich mit Festplatten zu SSD-Zeiten? Und in Amerika können die DVD-Laufwerke nicht mal Bluerays lesen. Geschweige denn dass in Deutschland ein Blueraywriter angeboten wird.

Ich finde den Konfigurator ohnehin peinlich gegenüber dem alten. Der war viel besser. Jetzt komm ich mir vor wie wenn der Kunde für zu blöd gehalten wird sich sein System zusammenzustellen und man ihm maximal ein paar Variationen anbietet. Alles möglichst einfach weil sich der Kunde ja überfordert fühlen könnte oder so.

Ganz ehrlich... wenn das der Endstand ist was soll ich mit Alienware wenn ich nicht mal den Rechner zusammenstellen kann den ich will?

Ich versteh Alienware hier nicht. Klingt für mich wie wenn da jemand in der letzten Zeit schlechte Marketingentscheidungen getroffen hat.

Grüße!
Sebastian

75 Posts

February 7th, 2014 10:00

Guten tag Sebastian, mein Deutsche sprachen ist nich zehr gut - ich muß Englisch sprechen.

If I understand you correctly, your complaint is about the lack of configuration options offered on Alienware machines?  I assume it is to save money, across the entire Dell range they have simplified the ranges and reduced the number of machines which in turn means less resources needed to build customised machines as they can just produce the standard specifications in bigger numbers.  I find it a disappointment as well as Dell were always very good in offering a good choice of hardware but with the PC market not in great shape at the moment, it's understandable they're trying to save money.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2014 12:00

Right, they want to save money but why should i order a notebook with useless parts? That doesnt sound smart of them.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2014 14:00

That might be correct but its not like they are out of competition. Most others let their customers freely choose the options and they even have a lower price. The only attraction in advance for Alienware is the design that some might like.

Is it at least allowed to not take harddiscs at all? Only a msata with the os? I fear thats not possible too but i havent asked yet.

Whats astonishing to me too is that Alienware isnt using the best hardware anymore. GPU/CPU ok but the american Alienware 17 doesnt even have a Blueray Reader, not to write about Blueray Writer that isnt available anywhere it seems. They sell Harddiscs standardized. Thats so outdated it looks like at Alienware some greedy manager took over and the enthusiasts and fans of computers are gone. Who nowadays will have slow Harddiscs anymore when SSD are so cheap? Its practically standard for gaming notebooks but the once Top Alienware goes the other way?

Sorry... i see that they want to safe money but it looks to me like they destroy their business.

75 Posts

February 7th, 2014 14:00

Because they're aiming at the mass market, you or I might not order a notebook because of the inflexibility in the specification but if they can shift enough in a standard spec they can considerably simplify their process and save a good chunk of money.

75 Posts

February 7th, 2014 15:00

Alienware is long gone, it is only a name now - they are Dell PC's and Dell want to sell as many as possible.  A blu-ray reader has a lot more costs than just the hardware, they need more expensive software and I suspect they also need more technical support as well (due to HDCP/DRM issues particularly) so it's more straightforward just not to offer one.  Dell have been moving progressively this way for a while as initially they offered prebuilt specs that could be shipped quicker than other machines, I assume they've found that works well so they've moved their whole model that way.

It's not something I agree with but I can't see it changing, I bought the Alienware machines I have because they were cheaper than a self build and come with an onsite warranty.  I wasn't bothered about not getting the exact spec I wanted as I find upgrades were usually overpriced anyway so I just changed over the bits as I wanted, I suspect others wanting more custom configurations will just do the same.

The older Alienware machines (before Dell bought them) were just rebranded machines anyway (mostly Clevo on the notebook side) and there's still companies selling Clevo machines with full customisation although you do tend to pay quite a bit more and the warranties aren't as good.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2014 16:00

I dont know Alienware when it wasnt dell. But i know the previous configurator. And it was way more advanced and free. You could even order machines without harddisc by phone though i need to try that out now before i can claim its not possible.

I dont see that Dell had to move that way. Alienware were all the time the most expensive notebooks on the market because the brand has to be paid. It simply wasnt needed to crack down the configurator like it was done. They did without need while fans bought the overpriced notebooks anyway.

Whatever... i dont await Alienware is changing things too. The believe to safe money in the short nowadays is stronger than the believe in the longtime company development.

No Events found!