Alienware Graphics Amplifier on 17 R3 laptop, 1080Ti

Hello, I contacted Dell via webchat and they confirmed that the 1080Ti was compatible with the Graphic Amplifier. I bought the AGA from Dell and the Graphics Card from Nvidia.  Everything worked great for about 20 minutes. The AGA shutdown and hasn't worked since. 

I was able to get it to power up using the diagonistics override on the original power supply. But as soon as you release that it shutdowns again.

I reinstalled all Alienware apps and downloaded the drivers for the AGA. I updated my bios.

I uninstalled my 980m graphics card, I disable my intel onboard graphics. I've installed drivers for the 1080Ti, the newest version and tried an older version. 

I call Alienware support, tried something over again with them, they then stated the graphic card wasn't supported that Dell Chat shouldn't have said it was.  Now I have a 700 dollar card that isn't supported, so I decide to put in a 600w power supply... order it and install it.. still nothing. My wireless mouse also doesn't work on the amplifier. There seems to be no power in the amplifier at all...with either supply the original or the replacement. 

Any ideas?  thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Alienware Graphics Amplifier on 17 R3 laptop, 1080Ti

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can check on this.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos

Tech support was great,  back up and running now. thanks!

eternalkp
3 Silver

was thinking of getting 1080ti and AGA for witcher 3 (4K). What kind of framerates are you getting on ultra settings? thanks. BTW, I also have 17 R3 (980M) with 4K panel.

0 Kudos

hey,  I've haven't checked framerates.  I've been playing Mass Effect Andromeda on ultra settings and having no problems.  The specs for it are higher than Witcher 3.  I'm very happy with the set up I have. 

0 Kudos

You should know I did upgrade the power supply to 600w before installing the 1080Ti founders edition in the AGA.

0 Kudos