Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2015 23:00

Alienware Graphics Amplifier

Help,  I recently got a AGA.  I place an ASUS STRIX GTX 980.  It didn't fit, but that is not my issue.  I don't care.  However, when I started my laptop Alienware15.  It was able to detect the gtx 980 in device manager.  But the Fan of ASUS STRIX video card died.  It is not moving at all. 

I check the Asus card, it is hot.  Means to me that the card is running.

How can I fix that? 

During on or restart, the gtx 980 fan will spin a bit, but then stop.  What could be the problem?  Please help.  :(

2.3K Posts

April 18th, 2015 17:00

Some of the newer cards have noise options that will shut off the fan until the card gets hot enough to require it.  Does the fan some on when you are gaming or are you just on the desktop?

November 17th, 2015 03:00

I have an asus 980 ti myself and have my own issues with it, but fan wise, if you set a manual curve and put the idle or lowest fan speeds at below 30%, then it will not use the fan at all.

If you set your own curve or a manual speed, always set its lowest speed above that, pref 45 or 50% or so minimum. Then it should be fine.

If that doesn't fix it, then there might be a hardware issue?

At auto speeds, the fan should operate okay, however if you overclock it, I find that the auto speed doesn't kick in hard enough and end up on 83 degrees which lowers core clock speeds, so a manual curve is required for overclocking beyond a certain limit.

No Events found!