Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 2nd, 2011 09:00

Alienware M14X BIOS Graphics Switch Option.

Right now i really like the M14X unit it's a nice piece of equipement.

Unfortunately, i would like to use linux, but i can't because NVIDIA won't support optimus on laptops.

I noticed on the M11X theres the option to use an integrated or a dedicated card.

Do you think this option will be available on the M14X via bios update?

So i can use the Intel or the Nvidia card like i want.

Not being switched automatically.

20 Posts

This is sad for us linux users.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

84 Posts

Greetings MadmanTM,

Optimus will continue to be an automatic technology.  This was done to avoid the issues laptops were experiencing while manually switching (and also for convenience). 

Thanks,

Gabe

20 Posts

May 2nd, 2011 10:00

is there a way to propose this bios modification to the engineer team at alienware?

20 Posts

May 2nd, 2011 10:00

I still believe that this option should be available.

20 Posts

May 9th, 2011 07:00

This link actually shows that Lenovo has given the option to their users. 

Could you please send this to DELL Support?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-76476.html

20 Posts

May 9th, 2011 08:00

Hello, i would like to know if it's possible to contact an Alienware or Dell engineer who works on the M14X Alienware laptop.

Has you may know, the laptop is using the Nvidia Optimus technology and right now, the users of the laptop can't decide in

the bios which graphic card option they want to use.

Screenshot of my issue.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Lenovo W510, W520 currently support the following functions in BIOS

Use the Dedicated Card Only

Use the Integrated Card Only

Use the Nvidia Optimus Switching.

Has you may have noticed Linux doesn't have full support for Optimus Technology so a switching option would be delightful 

for your linux userbase.

Right now, i have to unplug my ac adapter, then boot inside linux to get a fully functionnal ubuntu desktop. This would permit

me to use the Nvidia dedicated graphics adapter in linux. 

Could you please forward this request to an engineer or someone who might take this request seriously.

Thanks!

Reference to the Lenovo support in BIOS http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-76476.html

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 9th, 2011 10:00

MadmanTM,

I sent this to engineering. But, my gut says they will not add the option to the bios.

20 Posts

May 9th, 2011 17:00

Thanks for your help.

It would be a good thing in my opinion to let the user choose since right now, the m14x is experiencing some issues with the optimus switching. You can see the threads on notebookforums.com

20 Posts

May 11th, 2011 05:00

I received a good email from Poonam G

Thank you for your email. I did check the forum thread that you sent and understood the issue that you are facing. We are in process of writing a Bios update to address the issue. When available online, we will notify users on the DCF (Dell Community Forum).

Please reply to this email if you need any further assistance and I would be more than glad to assist you.

Thank you,

Regards,

Poonam G

Can't wait to try that out.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 11th, 2011 10:00

Poonam and I must have confused each other. Poonam is not referring to the Bios option madman is discussing. He is referring to the M14x GPU issue, "M14x Shuts Down On Battery on High Settings".

20 Posts

May 11th, 2011 15:00

Okay, well i have sent an email to Poonam, in the hopes of clarifying the situation.

I sure hope i wasn't getting my hopes up for nothing :(

20 Posts

May 17th, 2011 11:00

Chris, has this been sorted out with Poonam?

20 Posts

May 20th, 2011 09:00

It's sad to see that it's not really important for dell to fix issues reported by it's user-base.

1. Problems with automatic switching in windows and linux.

2. Problems with battery gaming, the unit will shut down

3. Very loud fan noise.

No build quality anymore?

20 Posts

May 25th, 2011 17:00

The A03 BIOS doesn't fix this issue and i still can't choose the graphics card in the BIOS.

Good job alienware.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2011 22:00

I am in the same boat. The option in bios to boot from a removable (usb) drive is also missing from the bios. What were these guys thinking? Options like these should be considered standard equipment on a modern systems bios. I have been a Dell fan for years and expected much better from them. Specially with a system this powerful. It may be powerful, but it is definately not robust. I consider this a severe regression.

No Events found!