Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2016 04:00

Alienware M14x Booting problem

Hey,

So my Alienware M14x laptop currently has problem where, on start up, it will refuse to boot but instead emit a short, loud beeping sound every 1.5 seconds. The screen remains black however all the LEDs light up according to the set theme.

This problem can eventually be fixed by repeatedly force shutting down and restarting the laptop until the screen eventually begins to operate and the computer boots and operates as normal however this can take up to 10 minutes of continuous restarting in order to finally work. I am just wondering if this is a known issue and whether or not there is a fix.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks a lot.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 5th, 2016 10:00

Hello Jvinnn,

Thank you for contacting us.

By the symptoms you are describing it seems that the system is having a no POST problem. The beep sound that you can hear is actually a code and one beep means that the motherboard could be having some issues. Something you can do is to press the Caps Lock key when the system is on the black screen and see if the light responds. If it does not, the motherboard is not receiving a signal.

In this case, you could try running a PSA test to confirm if you can catch any errors related to this issue.

If your system is in warranty, please send me your service tag in a PM for hardware assistance. 

3 Posts

May 7th, 2016 23:00

Sorry for the awful formatting as I have no functioning computer I am on mobile

3 Posts

May 7th, 2016 23:00

Hey Rodrigo! Thanks for getting back to me, I do not believe I am still under warranty as I've had my laptop for quite a while. The problem seems to be getting progressively worse - by which I mean it's taking longer and longer to have a successful boot up. However I finally was able to boot the computer and run a PSA test which yielded a pass in all categories except hard drive which failed giving the following prompt Error code 2000-0142 Validation 118376 Msg Hard drive 0 - S/N WD-WXH1E33CEMCN, short self test unsuccessful. Thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2016 11:00

Hi Jvinnn, 

Thank you for confirming this. Unfortunately, error code 2000-0142 indicates a Hard Drive failure and we recommend replacing it. Even though the system may still boot at times, this failure could cause slow performance and random crashes.

No Events found!