Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2012 15:00

Alienware M14x issues

Hello

I am having an issue with an Alienware M14x laptop I got from Dell and was wondering what to do to fix this issue. What happens is that when I try to start up the laptop the lights go on and you can hear the fan going but the screen won't go on and there is a series of beeps made when the laptop is unplugged and when it's plugged in the beeping sound goes off every 5 seconds.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 10th, 2012 15:00

How many beeps before they pause and start over?

2 Posts

February 10th, 2012 16:00

There's 7 beeps in a row when it's unplugged and when it is plugged in there is 1 beep every 5 seconds. Here is a video too when it is unplugged same thing as this guy's video. [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJYZ_ITS7eg]

11 Posts

February 10th, 2012 17:00

you got the 7 beeps of death lol, basicly, youre motherboard is faulty, you need to exchange it.

just call dell support and you should have youre computer up and running in a few days.

make sure you ask for the new batch of motherboards and to have thermal paste applied with the instalation, otherwise youre lap could fry, and the beep problem could resurface, as it was in my case since i have changed the motherboard 2 times alredy.

hope the info helps

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 10th, 2012 20:00

Since your in the Americas, I can setup the service if your still under warranty. Send me a Private Message (click my username, click Send Message) with the following data -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Service Tag number:
Reason: M14x Motherboard

22 Posts

February 13th, 2012 02:00

I too have replaced motherboards twice, but now, after a tech came to my house and installed the last one, my computer freezes up totally. He loaded new BIOS and settings and it continued to freeze up. He told me to do a windows repair and left! I did a complete reinstall of windows, downloaded new BIOs and driver from site to no avail, computer still freezes. It even froze during the reinstall and I had to start all the way over! I really, really, like the system, when it works! I am just out of patience with this, and will call the techs tommorrow. My warranty is still good for another 10 months and all i want is a working M14x.

16 Posts

February 25th, 2012 07:00

To Chris M and the other Dell reps.  What are you doing about this problem?  I too am on my second replacement.  It bad enough this is a widespread problem, but not fixing it is inexcusable.

You are passing the burden of fixing this problem from tech support to us.  I don't appreciate getting a partly fixed laptop back.  They replaced the motherboard and then did nothing else like install drivers to make sure it worked.

To top it off I got a certificate back that said my laptop went through Dell's rigorous testing process and now works.

11 Posts

February 26th, 2012 21:00

3rd time changing for me, they are going to change the motherboard, the ram, and the processor, aparently the ram was causing the problem, or thats what they said. will see.

22 Posts

February 27th, 2012 23:00

Any response on this issue yet? Mine is back enroute for the fourth time in 2 months! I just want my system to work! I am paying money for a system that I can not use!

3 Posts

March 5th, 2012 08:00

I got my alienware m14x a couple weeks ago, and within 24 hours I was getting the BSOD every time windows started up.  Talked to a technician on the phone for like 3 hours.  Uninstalled mcafee, uninstalled wireless internet, did the windows restore, did the alienware restore to when it was working OK, started windows in safe mode, STILL got the BSOD.  Finally, the techinician was like, "ummm ok we need to send it in to get repaired."  Turns out it was a bad motherboard.  Had it replaced and now the computer is being sent back to me at this moment.  I REALLY hope this fixed the problem, as I am reading from you guys that you have had to have your motherboard fixed multiple times.  I'm starting MBA school soon and can't afford to have a motherboard malfunction.  AHHHH!

22 Posts

March 6th, 2012 01:00

I hope so too, mine is back enroute for its fourth fix! I just want the thing to work without freezing up on Windows or getting the BSOD again...

3 Posts

March 6th, 2012 07:00

just got it back.  after reading through the "we promise we looked into your problems and promise it has been fixed.  we swear we have looked at it and replaced the problem parts!" paper I turned my m14x on, and within 5 minutes it went to the BSOD over and over with the error message 00x00000124.  Apparently that refers to either bad RAM or a bad motherboard.   This infuriates me considering I sent in my computer BECAUSE of faulty RAM/Motherboard in the first place, and they "replaced" the motherboard!  UGHHH.  I'm not as persistent as a lot of you, and have simply asked for a refund.  I don't know if I will be purchasing anything alienware in the near future.  This was my first purchase, and it has been a HUGE disappointment.  In 14 days of "owning" this laptop, I have used it for about 3 1/2 total hours.

3 Posts

March 6th, 2012 14:00

Decided to go with another computer/another brand.  This has just been an overall frustrating experience, and I honestly don't know if I'll ever purchase anything else from Dell/Alienware ever again.

1 Message

March 6th, 2012 22:00

I got same problem

73 Posts

March 7th, 2012 03:00

i got my m14x back in 2011 in Nov. never had this happen i only get BSOD cuz of faulty drivers but i fix them really fast

2 Posts

March 13th, 2012 22:00

I got my M14x at the end of December 2011. January 2012 had my first motherboard problem, not even 30 days after purchase. I just had another Motherboard problem March 5th.  Just got it back March 13th from the repair and I really do not want to touch it, afraid its going to break again.   Brought PCs from Dell in the past with no problems at all, this is frustrating.

No Events found!