Highlighted

Alienware M15x Bluetooth not working/not present

Hi there, 

Bought my M15x pretty much a year ago from now, pretty banging laptop and all problems up until now have been minor and have been solved with Google searches. It's only now that I've got myself a nice new bluetooth headset that I've come across a problem. The bluetooth on this laptop either doesn't function or is simply missing.
Firstly, I'd like to clarify something. Am I right in thinking this laptop DOES have a built in bluetooth adapter? It said on this specs when I was customising it, plus whenever I look up the specs of the laptop. The main reason that has led me to believe this, however, is the fact that everytime I go into the BIOS, the bluetooth adapter there is set to enabled. Surely that wouldn't even be there if the laptop didn't have one?
Anyway, I've downloaded the drivers for the Wireless 370 Bluetooth Minicard, but everytime I run the setup it asks me to turn on the bluetooth. There's no icon on my notifications manager and it doesn't appear under device manager or network adapters. Some people have also suggested turning my wifi adapter on and off as that also supposedly controls bluetooth, but that hasn't worked either.
So, has anyone had this issue and does anyone know how to solve it? I wouldn't like to purchase an additional bluetooth adapter if my laptop already has one, as I could do with keeping 1/2 USB ports free. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Throberto
1 Copper

Re: Alienware M15x Bluetooth not working/not present

I have the same unit, same age. The bluetooth card never worked on multiple devices. Iphone and Blackberry to name a few. Support told me it was my phones problem.

0 Kudos

Is yours a device you can turn on and off? Mine doesn't appear on device manager or anywhere on my system and the M15x has no shortcut for it. The only trace of it existing is in the BIOS where it says its enabled.

0 Kudos
Throberto
1 Copper

Yes its in the device manager

0 Kudos
tkeller00
1 Copper

Did you ever get your bluetooth to work?  I had this same issue, bluetooth in the bios but not on the system, so I took a chance downloaded the widcomm bluetooth driver form the drivers page, and it installed and after a reboot, my bluetooth showed up in my taskbar, and I was good to go..

Goodluck

0 Kudos
Gr8gorilla
1 Copper

If you have ever installed Motion Joy software to use a PS3 controller on your laptop, it could be part of your problem. For me, I had motion Joy installed and my Bluetooth randomly stopped working. To fix it, I finally had to uninstall and delete all Motion Joy drivers from my system following the uninstall instructions on the Motion Joy Wiki. I then had to reflash the 370 bluetooth mini-card firmware, and finally reinstall the drivers. Now all is working well.

Araknidoc
1 Copper

Do not fear, Araknidoc is here:  just download the manager from broadcom.com and it will be easy to connect the bluetooth transmiter. It is a shame that dell does not give info about the BT config.

0 Kudos
Myvekk
1 Copper

My bluetooth used to work, but now I cannot find it in the device manager, nor can my phone detect the laptop.

0 Kudos