Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 5th, 2014 11:00

Alienware M15x Crashing During A Game

Okay so ive searched the forums all over the net and none of them matches what my problem is :(

so i was playing on my alienware fine 3 days ago and it was fine but from yesterday it crashed during playing euro truck simulator 2 and it froze NO Blue Screen NO Error Lights just freezes and the only way i can turn it off is by holding down the power button 

so i booted up again thinking it just could be my mods on euro truck and again i loaded fine and this time when i got in game i play 30 seconds and them boom again same thing no lights no blue screen just stops 

so i thought to play another game witch was need for speed shift 2 and again i loaded fine and got into a race but this time after 5 minutes it did the same thing :(

then i thought it could be windows, i took my saved game files off and installed windows again from fresh wiped hard drive and installed all new drivers and put steam and euro truck back on and then again it froze

but heres the thing im using the laptop now perfectly fine and there is no problem till i start playing a game its strange how it works

so if you can help me out this would be amazing

sorry for the long story but i had to explain it so you can get straight to the point

and im not looking to contact dell as they will say its out of warranty and going to charge a ton of money   

38 Posts

May 7th, 2014 12:00

IVE FIXED THE PROBLEM!!

After no one helped my on here ive been testing and seeing what info i can get about my crashed Alienware

so here goes

i left my Alienware to crash and came back to it 30 minutes later when i came back it had rebooted and told me about a bluescreen, i searched the code and people said it was Mobo,CPU,GPU and/or HDD

so i put it through many stress test and MOBO was a pass CPU was a pass and GPU was a pass but the hard drive failed 

so i pulled the HDD from my Dell Studio 1555 and put it in my M15x once booted i installed the drivers for my M15x and started to play my games and time flew by as the was no crash no lag just pure bliss of gaming !

so ive now ordered heat sink paste to put replace the old hard stuff and a new HDD 

There you go people of the forums a fix for this real strange and scary crash

Good luck dude im out PEACE!

Chris :) 

1.8K Posts

May 6th, 2014 10:00

Hi Chris-1301!

Check the troubleshooting steps on this article. To check for overheating, use HWmonitor to the GPU and CPU temperatures. Make sure you're using the drivers from the Dell Support website and upgrade to the latest BIOS A09.

Let me know how it goes!

38 Posts

what is a good base temp for the cpu and gpu just so i know what im looking out for and my bios is well out of date but due to my dvd drive not working m not able to update it :(

all of my drivers are from the dell website and all are correctly in place 

heres a link to a youtube video that i made to see what people thought off my problem .... [View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpRSkOhSYoE:550:0]

i feel it is a heat problem due to i can play games (verry poorly) with stealth mode on and i know that halfs the power and stops turbo on the cpu but thank you for your reply i shall try the software and try to update the bios and report back about it 

38 Posts

update 

so i downloaded the bios A09 and i tried running it but it said my windows is not correct im running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

ive now installed HWmonitor and just sitting (no gaming) my temps are as shows

CPU i7 Value 55c to 60c min 52c max 65c

GPU GTX 260m Value 46c min 46c max 48c 

not sure how to paste it so i wrote it out haha im now going to start gaming and wait til it crashes again and update the results

38 Posts

May 6th, 2014 11:00

so i went in to euro truck simulator 2 and turned the graphics back to high and it crashed again but i got a temperature reading 

CPU Cores 0 and 2 went to 70 to 75 Celsius

Cores 1 and 3 went to 65 to 70 Celsius

i have an i7 why does it only show 4 there but 8 in task manager ?

GPU went to 70 Degrees Celsius

looking at the heat it looks way to high

1.8K Posts

May 7th, 2014 13:00

so i went in to euro truck simulator 2 and turned the graphics back to high and it crashed again but i got a temperature reading 

CPU Cores 0 and 2 went to 70 to 75 Celsius

Cores 1 and 3 went to 65 to 70 Celsius

i have an i7 why does it only show 4 there but 8 in task manager ?

GPU went to 70 Degrees Celsius

looking at the heat it looks way to high

That's just the HWmonitor software

70-75 degrees is normal during stress and it's unlikely that these temperatures would cause the system to crash. 

I'm glad you found a resolution to the problem, if you need anything else or have any other questions let me know!

No Events found!