MyAlienware
1 Nickel

Re: Alienware M15x - Freezing after installing Nvidia

Krac,

I am doing the cleaning install (again for 9 times) and load the Windows 7 Ultimate on my M15x

1 : Installing the chipset drivers

2 : Installing the Geforce drivers from Dell , and guess what ? Its not freezing for more than 40 mins now, but..when i do the 3dMark03, the performance is very very bad, i got about 3k only for the score..

3 : I suspect the problem is not about the nvidia drivers, but others drivers maybe is the caused!

Will update here by time to time!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MyAlienware
1 Nickel

Post Not Found
The post you requested cannot be found or no longer exists. The administrator or moderator may have deleted the post.

Hey whats wrong ? I am giving the solutions here!
0 Kudos
MyAlienware
1 Nickel

Bump! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
KracsNZ
2 Iron

What version of the drivers from Dell are you using?

Dell XPS 15 9550 - 16GB - PM951 500GB SSD - GTX960

0 Kudos
MyAlienware
1 Nickel

The official drivers from dell.com.

I am thinking maybe overheat is the caused about this too..

0 Kudos
Jesse Brown
2 Iron

I am having similar issues, and have had nothing but problems with my M15x since I got it a little over a year ago, have had the GPU replaced multiple times, the motherboard replaced multiple times, even the GPU's heatsink, but nothing has solved the wonderful problems I continue to have with this system. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RossenX
1 Nickel

Has anyone tried the 270.x beta drivers from Nvidia?

Someone had posted in another forum that the 266.x drivers worked fine for him and no crashing.

I'd really like to see this issue fixed because the great irony here is that my GTX 285m SLI is performing worst than my old Toshiba's GT 8700m SLI (Atleast in 3ds max it is)

Which I'm pretty sure 285m is supposed to be faster.

0 Kudos
jamien75
1 Copper

I've had crashes & lockups on my system, M15x from October 2009, ever since the 2XX.XX series drivers came out.  I had to keep using the 197.16 drivers to keep the system running somewhat stable.  I have been using the new 266.XX WHQL, & now the 270.XX BETA, drivers without any issues so far as graphics go.

Unfortunately I've got other issues.  My Intel wireless is probably failing at this point, so I'm gonna have to see how good tech support is with regards to getting me what I need with a minimum of hassle.

0 Kudos
hansotjes
1 Copper

Same system, same issue.. since a year or 2. Dell was kind enough to replace the motherboard and both videocards. In the meanwhile i have added a new hdd + clean-installed OS and all the latest drivers. Nothing seems to be able to fix this problem which is super annoying. I've lost a lot of work by working on this laptop as the crashes/freezes happen very randomly; Usually 1-4 times a day; sometimes a few times per week.

Of course i also have tried tons of drivers all with the same result. The driver provided by dell.com makes the cards perform extremely poor btw.. if you use them, you can might as well turn off your 260 cards and use the onboard 9800 one instead which gives you the same performance level.

I think we've spend more than enough money on this system to finally receive a fix from dell for fix this issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
armin777
1 Copper

I am having same problem with my m15x and I have the ati 5850 card. I started receiving random reboots in the first month maybe second month of use at the latest. The logs show kernel processor errors. I have had the motherboard replaced twice and still have the issue. They broke my power button and control bar above the keyboard the first time the Dell technician replaced the motherboard. I tried arguing for a replacement since this issue began almost right out of the box, and basically Alienware support has been quite stubborn. This has been very disappointing and I am in IT and we are a Dell shop. This sure makes me leery about continuing to purchase Dell products.

To my suprise the alienware support acted as if they weren't aware of so many owners with these problems. My guess is it is some sort of controller or voltage problem within the hardware.

0 Kudos