Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2011 15:00

Alienware M15x problem, Please Help!

Alright so i got this laptop a couple months before Christmas, and later, i encountered a virus and back up didn't work or anything, so i ending up COMPLETLY resetting it. So after that i downloaded the things i needed off dell, like drivers and stuff. And now i hit another problem, that little touch pad thing above the keyboard; when ever i press one of those buttons it doesn't show up on the screen for me, like if i press Volume UP there should be a little icon that comes on my screen showing me my volume level. Well that was my first question hope someone can help me for that, Now my second question. I dont think my turbo boost is working to its highest peak. Before this reboot it was much faster, so i tried fixing it, found this thing in my computer Called Device Manager where it shows all my drivers and stuff and came up to the Turbo Boost Technology and i pressed it and it said i has some problem with it or something like that, and there was a little re-install button so i pressed that, and it doesnt work i keep getting a code (10) Driver cannot start, could that be the problem why my computer isn't as fast? If so PLEASE help me. And last but not least i have an Unknown driver, it says The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)  There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.   To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver. and if i try to update driver it says it cannot. Thats all hope you can help!

265 Posts

February 12th, 2011 15:00

1st Question -  You need to install the OSD application. It is located on the dell download page for the M15x under applications.

2nd Question - That driver is not needed. I get that same error, and I think that is only for M15x's that have the 920XM/940XM processor, because it can be overclocked. If your think the turbo boost is not working, try downloading CPU-Z and check the frequency. Also, make sure Stealth Mode is disabled, which is the tachometer touch button.

3rd Question - The unknown device is the FreeFall sensor. It is the ST Microelectronics driver located on the Dell download page, under either SATA or System Utilities.

8 Posts

February 12th, 2011 16:00

Wait never mind, downloading free fall sensor still didn't work, i went through the install wizard and ended up restarting in the end.. and pressed my volume up too see if i get the message, and i didn't and as for the OSD it wont download it keeps telling me its corrupted.

38 Posts

February 12th, 2011 16:00

I have checked my Device Manager and Intel (R) Turbo Boost Technology Driver is loaded with no errors. Checking my downloads the driver is Intel Turbo Boost Technology Driver A00 R274365.exe and you may also need the monitor programme, Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor A01.exe

The Freefall Sensor driver is ST Microelectronics DE351DL Free Fall Sensor A01 R251237.exe

All drivers are available from the M15X driver download page on Dell's Drivers and Support site.

M15X, i7 620M 2.67GHz, 8Gb 1333MHz RAM, ATI HD5730 1Gb graphics card, 1920x1080 WLED display

8 Posts

February 12th, 2011 17:00

@M3TH0D1C4L i tried the link you gave me for the OSD but when i press download and driver download manger comes up it says "No download selected. Go to drivers and downloads to select file(s)"

265 Posts

February 12th, 2011 18:00

I dont know why my post was deleted............but ok....

Try downloading it from this location:

M15x OSD v1.12

Dont use the big "Download Now" link in yellow. The actual link is right below that in green.

8 Posts

February 12th, 2011 18:00

Alright thank you so much, it worked, also just one last quick question that came to mind because seems you know it all :) but when ever i press the Stealth Mode button ON or OFF my keyboard always seems to type "W" like if i press on notepad or something and then press stealth mode it types "W"

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 12th, 2011 19:00

m3th0d1c4l,

I just read the post and also did not see any TOU violation. Will email the administrator.

265 Posts

February 12th, 2011 19:00

Thanks Chris. No problem. I think maybe the AI caught something random in the internet link or something...who knows.

And tim0teh, yes that "w" thing was normal on the M15x. But this has been fixed in the most recent BIOS, A09. You need to Download the BIOS image, burn it to a disc (use nero, poweriso, ultraiso, etc), and boot from the disc when starting the machine and pressing F12.

Here is the BIOS image:

M15x A09 BIOS <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

And that should fix any other issues on the machine at the same time.

8 Posts

February 13th, 2011 07:00

I mean i started to lag more after my re-installsation

8 Posts

February 13th, 2011 07:00

Alright last but not least, back to the speed question, the thing you told me to download to check my frequnceny well... that didnt do much, is there any other way for me to speed this bad boy up? seem to be lagging more in my games before my re-boot

265 Posts

February 13th, 2011 19:00

There should not be any problem with the CPU turbo speed as long as Stealth Mode is off. You do not need any drivers for it.

The only thing I can think of is the video card drivers. Instead of using the Dell video driver, go to the manufacturers website and use that driver.

Make sure to uninstall the Dell driver first.

8 Posts

February 16th, 2011 19:00

Back to the Alienware BIOS A09, well i burned it to a disc, then restarted my computer, pressed F12 and went down to the CD option or whatever that said, and then pressed enter, well it didnt change my A08 to A09 i checked it on CPU-Z and i still had A08 can you help?

5 Posts

July 23rd, 2012 08:00

Hi, I have an Alienware m15x from a couple of months. The problem is that when I charge my laptop when it is turned off, both alienware logos don't light up so I can't know when my laptop is fully charged. Please i need some help me ... thanks in advance.

No Events found!