Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2014 02:00

Alienware M17X Battery Issue

Hi, I bought a Alienware M17X Laptop 3 years ago and I have charged the battery 3 times and have used this laptop for 5 hours at the most because I have other computers in use and it's been in my closet for the past couple of years. When I plugged it in the battery indicater shows a red X and says that the battery is not detected, so I updated the Bios and all hardware/programs and everything is updated and then I tried the FN/F2 and nothing happens and I tried unplugging it and taking the battery out and holding the power button down for 1 minute up to 4 minutes and still nothing, I was reading an arcticle that the battery might be completely dead and needs to be 'Pre-Charged' and I don't know how to do this or what I should do to fix my battery problem and I have tried all the troubleshooting and nothing is working. If anyone can help please do so and thanks inadvance 

901 Posts

May 10th, 2014 05:00

Hiya, you may need to do a complete power drain to reset everything.

1. Disconnect power supply

2. Disconnect battery

3. Turn laptop over and rest on a towel so the rear cover is exposed

4. Remove the two screws that secure the rear cover into position

5. Remove rear cover

6. Beside the center CPU fan you will find a small coin call battery with a wire running to a connection on the motherboard, disconnect that wire.

7. Turn laptop right way up and press and HOLD on/off button for a slow count to 20

8. Leave everything disconnected for 10-15 minute (To be sure, to be sure)

9. Reconnect everything in reverse order.

10 Insert AC adapter plug and let it charge for a few minutes before booting up.

This may not work in this instance, but it has worked well in the past for me

11 Posts

May 10th, 2014 17:00

Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried this 3 times step by step and nothing yet but I'll keep trying and hopefully it will take because this battery was only charged 3 times and the laptop was only used for around 5 hours and if anyone has any other ideas please let me know thanks 

48 Posts

May 11th, 2014 07:00

My XPS M1730 lasted 2 years only, even doing all the tricks like not leaving it plugged in all the time, etc. After 3 years time, and not charging it at that, I suspect it would be dead permanently. I got an aftermarket one for less than $100.00 and that lasted until the laptop committed suicide by cooking itself to death.

1.8K Posts

May 12th, 2014 10:00

Hi!

I recommend you follow the steps AndrewSi suggested to complete a power drain. You can also run an AlienAutopsy battery test and ePSA diagnostic to check the battery health.

If issue persists, the battery will probably need replacing. 

No Events found!