Highlighted
yngve90
1 Nickel

Alienware M17X R3 black-screen problem caused by Graphic card(?)

Jump to solution

My Alien have in the last weeks turn black-screen with good reason to believe it's the GPU.
Here's what I've done to try fixing it:

1: Cleaned CPU and reapply thermopaste due to overheating problems (while even using a cooling-pad). Fixed temperature, but not the black-screen.
2: Reset the pc back to fabric-setup, AND reinstalled Windows 7.
3: Discharging the battery.
4: Washing and cleaning inside the laptop for dust
5: Disconnect adapter and restart - works till it's no power left.
6: Uninstalling Graphic card. Works with adapter both connected and disconnected. But then, with a non-working graphic card, I can't do anything!

I haven't looked on the GPU itself since I lack knowledge and courage to check it for burnmarks or something. But if this can be fixed by other ways than buying a new graphic card, I would definetly prefer that, and any help would be MUCH appreciated and recieves with thanks.

Other information:
Pc bought 28.08.2011

Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2820QM (2.30Ghz, 8MB, 4C)
2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4X4GB)
750 GB (7200 rpm) SATA
Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64

0 Kudos
30 Replies

Re: Alienware M17X R3 black-screen problem caused by Graphic card(?)

Jump to solution

You have done pretty much everything that there is to try. I would suggest that you look at your temperatures while running a test to see if it is actually overheating.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
yngve90
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for answer.

The computer is currently on a cooling-pad and have been so for weeks (before this happened).
I have also dared myself to apply thermal-paste on the GPU, although it didn't make any difference, and checked for burn-marks on almost everything.
Recently cleaned fans, vents, holes and even the adapter for dust.

(I read the article and have done most of it)
Updated BIOS both trough deskop install and BIOS boot setup trough CD.
Disgnostic test with Alien Autopsy and Dell Online PC Diagnostics
3D Benchmarks and CPU test

I have not tried the CPUID Hardware Monitor check yet.
Will post for result.

0 Kudos
yngve90
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Trying to check the temp using CPUID HW Monitor is pretty useless because I can't run a test on the GPU when the screen turns black during tests. I had it activated during the CPU test trough Alien-Autopsy, and even then, the screen turned black.

But the monitor said however that the temp on the GPU in idle state was 54-56 degrees. Is that alot?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Try using a report log.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
yngve90
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have switched the PhysX-Processor in the Nvidia Control Panel from GTX 580m to "main processor". Now the problem is gone and I can play games and use my system as I used to without any differences on performance. I don't spot anything different at least, which made me pretty darn happy.

But it doesn't solve the GTX 580 problem, though...

But hope this works for anyone else who got a problem with black-screen Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
yngve90
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Oh well, after 1 day, the problem once again occurs. Even after 2 hours og playing Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 on max quality without problems, I started to play Dayz Mod - arma 2 and then the fans go beserk with intervals by 10 secons, add or take. Like it overheated, but how can that even be? Thermal paste have been reapplied on both CPU and GPU, the pc sits on a cooling pad and Days Mod doesn't even need that much of power to run on medium quality.

I did manage however to check the temperature during gameplay (because "just in case" cases), and it shows 62 degrees on the GPU and 71 on the i7 processor. But that isn't even high, is it?

I just don't know what to do anymore, and I'm REALLY tempted to get a hammer and let my frustration go out trough it on this crappy bullshit computer...

0 Kudos
Deminion666
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So If my graphics card is failing could I get a new one and replace it at home? If so, where can I buy a card for Mx17 R3?

0 Kudos
leungchuenyan
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem for the past 6 months.

It was crashing sparsely for a few months. Then it became more and more frequent. Sometimes >5 times a day. Usually when running something graphically intense.

I then updated the graphics card driver (from the dell website, not nVidia) and also a BIOS update from the dell website. After that my computer was crash-free for 2-3 weeks.

But now the crashes are back. Re-installing the drivers doesn't work. And it's extremely frustrating !!!!

PC bought 02.09.2011

Specs:

Alienware M17X R3

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 2720QM (2.20Ghz, 6MB, 4C)

2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580M

16GB 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel (4X4GB)

750GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)

0 Kudos
Deminion666
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

How long did you use ur comp before you experienced this issue? I had myn for 14 months before. It happened pretty soon after my year warranty expired, now they want me to pay $430 to fix it. This seems to be a common issue with the nvidea 580m and a very annoying if u ask me. I dont think Ill be buying from Dell or Alienwere again, unless they somehow redeem themselves of this annoyance.

0 Kudos