Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2013 03:00

Alienware M17X R4 Charging Issue?

Hello!

I've finally got a replacement Alienware M17x R4 after my other one was 'faulty' so tech support said. I'm not so sure now.

So I have an Alienware M17x R4 with windows 8. The laptop will charge no problem whilst the laptop is on, if I turn the laptop off it will continue to charge as the alien head changes color, and it will boot up fine.

However, should I turn the laptop off, unplug it for the night say and plug the charger back in, the alienhead will not light up and will not charge, and then when I turn on the laptop the keyboard will not light up correctly untill Windows 8 has booted up to the desktop.

This is the second laptop to have done this straight out of the box? I have updated the BIOS (A11) and I'm running the latest version of all the drivers. 

Any suggestions? It bugs me that it won't charge whilst the laptop is turned off.

30 Posts

March 13th, 2013 06:00

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch. The power adapter (UK) is a 180w not 240 that came with the laptop.

I have reset the bios, but its still the same.

Question is why do two brand new Alienware M17x R4 do excatly the same thing out of the box? Won't charge unless the laptop is on and the Alienfx lights go a bit nuts till Windows 8 has fulled booted up?

2K Posts

March 13th, 2013 06:00

Hi tinker_xp,

I will be glad to help you. Request you to try the below steps and check if it works:

(1) Try using a known good 240 W AC Adaptor and check if the same issue happens.

(2) If you don’t have one or if it’s the same then try resetting the BIOS to default by following the below steps:

(a) Restart the computer

(b) At the Dell logo keep tapping F2 key.

(c) BIOS screen appears, move to exit menu

(d) Scroll down to Load optimal defaults and select yes.

If you have further questions do reply to the same post.

30 Posts

March 14th, 2013 09:00

Tech support seem to have no idea why it's doing it.

Silly question, does anyone have an Alienware M17x R4 running windows 8. Should a charging light be on when the laptop is turned off, or another question, should the laptop charge regardless whilst it's off?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 15th, 2013 06:00

tinker_xp,

You said, "if I turn the laptop off it will continue to charge as the alien head changes color, and it will boot up fine.".

So it is charging which is contrary to your statement here, "should the laptop charge regardless whilst it's off.".

Do not turn the system off when on battery only. Use the system on battery only, but plug the AC adapter back into the system before powering off.

30 Posts

March 15th, 2013 07:00

Hello,

IThe problem stems from the fact that the laptop will only charge once it has been turned on, and then shut down. The laptop will not charge without it being turned on if it was disconnected from the power outlet. Which means if I move it from one room to another I have to turn it on, then shut it down for it charge.

"Do not turn the system off when on battery only. Use the system on battery only, but plug the AC adapter back into the system before powering off."

Surely this is not normal for a laptop? The idea of a laptop should be the fact that's it's portable and can be charged whenever and wherever. So are you saying the laptop should not charge if it was dis-connected and re-connected to a power source after a shutdown?

In any case; as an update Alienware tech got back to me and have reported that it should charge regardless and a new firmware update/bios update will hopefully come out in the next 2-4 weeks to resolve this issue. I hope.

1 Message

April 1st, 2013 06:00

Ya... Indeed, I also found the same problem with my R4 in Windows 8.... I just bought it yesterday and I'm so frustrated with it
DELL please fix it asap... We spend so much on the machine, so I dun expect to see this problem in my new machine.

30 Posts

April 24th, 2013 07:00

Tech support say they are working on a new bios and it should be out in 4 weeks time. That was 5 weeks ago. I'm just glad I wasn't going nuts and there are other people out there having the same issue.

30 Posts

June 12th, 2013 05:00

So no update from Alienware/Dell on this silly Issue of a laptop not charging when it's turned off? Or how about the alienfx lights issue not working after the laptop is turned on without mains?

June 12th, 2013 13:00

Hi Tinker_xp,

You said you have a 180W AC adapter?

30 Posts

June 13th, 2013 03:00

That is correct Alexander_J

Just to reiterate plug in charger when the laptop is on, it charges the laptop. Great. Turn it off and on, and everything works like it should including the laptop's AlienFX lights.

However,

Unplug laptop from PSU to relocate to another room for example, laptop will not charge without having to turn the laptop on.

When this is done, the Alienfx lights, only light up only 1/4 of the keyboard, until Windows 8 is booted to the desktop, then they go to their previous state.

June 13th, 2013 09:00

Hi Tinker_xp,

Send me your service tag through a private message, most likely we need to replace that AC Adapter.

30 Posts

June 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi Alexander. Thanks for getting back in touch and trying to help me out. Sadly I've tried another 180w power adapter but it did the same thing. Sorry for not mentioning that sooner. Any other suggestions?

30 Posts

June 13th, 2013 12:00

Ok. That sounds like a great idea. How do I go about sending you a private message?

Thanks,

June 13th, 2013 12:00

Well, the original idea that I had in mind was replacing your actual AC adapter to 240W one.

June 13th, 2013 13:00

Accept the friend request and send me your service tag through the private message.

No Events found!