Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2011 15:00

Alienware M17x R2 Random Daily Reboots and Rare Freezes

Hey People.

I've got a Alienware M17x R2 a few month ago and even since i got it even brand new out of the box i've been having issues with it just rebooting itself at random.

For a while it seemed to be gone aftrer i updated all my drivers from the Dell site, but then it came back..

Any idea what might cause this?
All that happens is in the middle of doing anything (or being idle) the screen flickers white then reboots.

I've also got some random freezes that happen very rarely, but the random reboots are my first issue as i work as a graphic designer and having my day's work be lost is kinda a bad thing.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

My System is:
Alienware m17x r2

8gb RAM

500gb SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285M SLI

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 940 @ 2.13GHz

13 Posts

Thanks! :D

And thanks for the reply, but my issue is not related to the NVIDIA Drivers (i think) because i did not install any drivers that were not on the dell website.

It is not freezing, it is just a quick flicker of the screen and a reboot. the minor freezing happens only once a month or so and is not a big issue, the rando reboots are more the issue.

Thanks,

26 Posts

I also using all the drivers from dell website and got the same problem with you :)

I am thinking maybe it is overheating issues at the moment.

Go and run your diagnostic at the pre-boot, maybe that could help you at the moment.

13 Posts

I ran every possible diagnostic on my system, pre-boot and post boot and all the windows stuff.

I even checked my windows event log and any thing that shows as "warning" or "error" i repaired and everything SHOULD be working fine.

And i can usually fix stuff like this, but this just stumps me. Everything on my system is working functioning just fine.

It can't be over-heating because it even happens when I'm idling in the windows log-on screen, not even in windows yet.

26 Posts

Hey Rossenx!

Welcome to the Club!

Please refer to http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19372972.aspx

Thanks.

13 Posts

April 10th, 2011 16:00

Oh yeah,

On a weird note, when i got my laptop i got it with the TactX mouse and all, if i USE the TactX mouse it crashes every HOUR, but with another mouse i have now it only crashes once a day or so. In fact, my laptop started crashing again when i tried to use the TactX mouse again, but this time they did not stop(Totally) when i switched my mouse.

13 Posts

April 11th, 2011 14:00

Ok, so checking my event log it said the bluetooth drivers had failed about 10 minutes before the crash, so i'ev disabled my bluetooth device all together and lets see if this is the issue.

the error was :The local Bluetooth adapter has failed in an undetermined manner and will not be used. The driver has been unloaded.: in the windows event logger.

Come to think of it, it might have started crashing around the time i updated the bluetooth drivers.. so lets see.

13 Posts

April 11th, 2011 14:00

Any suggestions by anyone on what might be causing this?
It just happened again...

501 Posts

April 13th, 2011 10:00

I had the same problem and after almost 5 months of troubleshooting Dell finally replaced my machine. I have had the new one for 3 weeks now. So far it has run perfectly other than some strange problem with Windows unloading its WiFi, Bluetooth, and Ethernet drivers on reboot. I also have the TactX mouse but that has not caused any crashes or unprovoked reboots.

Frankly, rather than tear your hair out trying to solve it yourself, you had best get onto Dell support because I don't think there's any fix for this issue.

13 Posts

April 13th, 2011 17:00

Hey there! Thanks for the advice and I've been trying the dell support, but no luck.

BUT! I've updated my nvidia to 266.58 drivers (from nvidia site) and ran some diagnostic like stress testing and temperature and GPU usage and all.

Temp goes up to 65c then high speed fans kick in and it goes down to 60c. This is it the GPU is using 95-98% of the GPU for about 20 minutes it did not go over 66c.

So no overheating issue after updating to 266.58 drivers and been trying to make it over-heat or crash by high gaming and using software that uses alot of GPU. Like running 3ds max with a 20mill poly model. Some Lag (Which is normal for a 20mill poly model in 3ds max) and high GPU usage, but no crashing or overheating.

So if anyone else has this issue, i recomend: 266.58 drivers from NVIDIA and disablign the bluetoth device in the device manager.

Will keep testing it and if i still have no crashes will turn on the bluetooth and see if that makes it crash, if so then bluetooth is the error here and not GPU as most people were thinking.

Cheers,

No Events found!