Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 26th, 2014 21:00

Alienware M17x R3 HDMI in screen splitted and not full screen

Hi everyone,

I am new in this forum, I am having an issue using my alienware as a monitor device, I am connecting a device trough the HDMI IN, it works, but does not go full screen and and also the screen is duplicated. I have tried with diferent notebooks and also with my wii u. Someone know how to solve I can see the image in full screen? Here are the picture after connecting another notebook using HDMI in

PS: I have the drivers that came installed and they are updated, I found a lot of people saying that the HDMI IN not working, did not find anyone with the issue I have.

2014-05-26 21.47.38.jpg

This is how it looks like closer:

The top screen repeats after its over and in the right side has a 2,5 inches black line.

4075.2014-05-26 21.47.38.jpg

Thank you 

1.8K Posts

May 29th, 2014 10:00

Hi!

First, try to adjust the resolution settings. Test lower and higher resolutions if possible. Make sure you're using the driver version from the Dell Support website. Try a clean driver installation as explained here. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS A12.

If issue persists, it's possible that its a compatibility problem. What device are you using? Did the other devices you tested work properly? 

May 29th, 2014 13:00

Hi,

Thank you for your response, I did the clean driver installation, but when I go to the support page to download my driver link

How my video board is AMD 7970M, the only option that I have is the first one 

AMD Radeon HD 6870M/6970M/7970M/6990M Graphics Driver.

But in the details about this driver (here) , It shows that supportsonly the OS MS Windows 7 64-bit, and I am using Windows 8.1 64-bits.

I tried to install this driver, giving a hope that this could save my life, but did not work, I still have the same problem. I tried to change all the resolutions and also tried with different notebooks using HDMI IN, and the screen still not going for full screen and when I set lower resolution the screen go smaller.

I spent 2 thousand dollars in a notebook expecting I would not have any problem, but looks like this is not true. This is my first alienware and I am pretty sure gonna be the last one, I can't even use an tool that should be working properly, I really need to use my HDMI IN, if I was expecting that a notebook of 2 THOUSAND DOLLARS was not able to do it properly I was going to buy a *** notebook plus a monitor.

I am very disappointed how I am having many issues with my alienware, I bought this notebook less the one year and try to take a look at my point of view and see how my investment was such a failure that I can't even connect my HDMI IN properly. I seriously can't understand how a notebook of 2k still have problems. 

I am sorry, I know that this is not your fault, but I am kind tired

1.8K Posts

May 30th, 2014 10:00

Unfortunately your system was never released or validated for Windows 8 and that's why we have no driver support for Windows 8 or 8.1, only Windows 7. Certain compatibility issues may come up when using a different OS, and it could also be the source of this problem.

We can't guarantee the system's performance on Windows 8.1. If you wish to roll back to Windows 7, you can re-install the OS using the recovery discs that were shipped with the computer.  

May 30th, 2014 14:00

Hi,

Unfortunately I installed windows 7 64 bits, installed all the recommended drivers and still not working my HDMI IN, I just lost time trying to solve this problem. How you said the problem was windows 8, now that I tried with windows 7, what you suggest me to do now?

That's sad how I have to fight to use an tool that should be good to go.

I am still waiting for the answer for my problem, my notebook still in the guarantee of one year, I remember that I tried this long time ago with my wii u, but I thought the problem was the wii u not a notebook of 2 thousand dollars.

Here is the video that I just recorded trying to use the HDMI IN:

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3Qa4-1vHY:550:0]

1.8K Posts

May 30th, 2014 22:00

Send me a private message with your Service Tag, contact information and link to this thread so I can help you further. 

May 31st, 2014 17:00

Hi Naomi,

I sent to you a private message with the information you asked, what should I do next?

Thank you

June 1st, 2014 19:00

Try to right click the desktop on the other laptop, and change resolution settings for the secondary monitor that will appear in there. This may fix your issue :)

June 1st, 2014 20:00

I already tried to do it and did not work, but thanks for help @AW17.

No Events found!