Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LC

June 17th, 2013 15:00

Alienware M17x R3 (Video Card Upgrade)

Hello, I own an Alienware M17x R3 and recently my video card burned out, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560m.

I'm looking for an upgrade now, and I have found one with a very nice cost/benefit, the Nvidia GTX GeForce 670mx,

but before buying it I would love to know if someone have already tested it, in the announcement from the card says that it works fine for the Alienware M17x, but what about the M17x R3? Will it mess up with my 3D?  And if it does, will I be able to use it normally, but just without the 3D?

Looking forward for some answers!

June 17th, 2013 18:00

Hi Luiz.clarke,

The video cards supported on this system from Nvidia are the GTX 460M, GTX 560M, and the GTX 580. We know cases of customers replacing their video cards to newer revisions without any problem, but we have no official results.

8 Posts

July 11th, 2013 21:00

HI AlexJ

I got my m17x with an AMD video card. Can I still upgrade to an nVidia video card, or am I stuck with AMD because I started with them?

2K Posts

July 11th, 2013 21:00

Hi JiggyJiggy,

Yes, you have an option to purchase a compatible NVIDIA video card from Dell or from any local computer store and get it fixed by a technician.

You may want to send a private message with all your system details to Alienware-Alexander_J who can give suggestions on video cards.

Note: Dell will not upgrade any parts of the computer irrespective of the system having warranty. However, we can sell parts.

1 Message

July 16th, 2013 14:00

Hi,

I also have an AMD Radeon 6900M Series that just burned out.  What is the highest performing video card that I should look at that is compatible?

Thanks,

BP

1 Message

November 24th, 2013 18:00

Is there a link to buy these video cards? I have the 460gtx m ans would like to upgrade to higher. I have the 3d 120hz screen as well if that makes a difference?

November 24th, 2013 18:00

I bought a GTX 680m from a guy I met in the techinferno foruns, I met him personally and he helped me out with the installation and the BIOS modding, but you can easily get the video card from ebay or eurocom as well, and all the information about modding and installation you can check in this thread here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-17-m17x/672230-m17x-r3-680m-compatability.html

No Events found!