Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 30th, 2013 20:00

Alienware M17x R4(7970m) Discrete Graphics Not Detected Upon First Boot

Whenever I turn on my laptop after several hours of not using it, it boots up but doesn't detect the discrete graphics card, only the integrated one. But if I shut down the laptop and turn it back on, it detects the discrete and also integrated graphics again. Every day I am forced to boot my laptop twice in order for me to use the 7970m graphics and its getting annoying. I have all stock drivers from the Dell website, and have also tried other graphics drivers and I still have this problem. TL;DR: Discrete GPU not detected on first boot up after several hours of being off, but is detected after shut down and booted up again.

May 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi HellzHavoc,

If you power the system on without connecting AC adapter, the system will work on integrated GPU to save power and increase battery life. You may Connect AC adapter to the system and press Fn + F7 button keyboard to enable the video card and restart the computer when prompted. The system is working as designed. For more information, you may refer to article Here.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

13 Posts

May 31st, 2013 07:00

I did the FN+F7 before and had only the 7970m on. The only problem was that if the laptop was turned on after several hours of it being off, the screen would just be black and I would get 8 beeps. I fixed this by removing the Discrete graphics card and booting it up with the Integrated one and then installed the 7970m back in once it was using the Integrated one.

13 Posts

May 31st, 2013 10:00

I did the FN+F7 before and had only the 7970m on. The only problem was that if the laptop was turned on after several hours of it being off, the screen would just be black and I would get 8 beeps. I fixed this by removing the Discrete graphics card and booting it up with the Integrated one and then installed the 7970m back in once it was using the Integrated one.

June 1st, 2013 06:00

Hi HellzHavoc,

Please uninstall the video drivers from control panel. You may refer to article Here for correct way of installing video drivers. Ensure that you install the Intel driver first followed by ATI driver.

Hope this helps.

13 Posts

June 1st, 2013 11:00

Ive done several driver installs after I have completely reformated my laptop but the problem still persists. Any other advice?

13 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 13:00

Also, whenever I leave my laptop in sleep mode for several of hours and turn it back on, everything lights up but the screen stays black and nothing happens then I have to shut it off via the power button.

13 Posts

June 2nd, 2013 14:00

I have been having this problem for a couple of weeks now and its infuriating.....

3.1K Posts

June 4th, 2013 12:00

Hi HellzHavoc,

I am replying on behalf of  DELL-Sundeep B. Please try to update the system BIOS and check if the issue persists. Here is the link http://dell.to/11CiMdI.

Note: Before updating BIOS please ensure that:
*Battery is 10%> or >10% charged.
*Battery charger should be connected.
*No external devices (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) should be connected.
*All other programs should be closed and documents saved.

Please refer to the section How to update the system BIOS mentioned in this link http://dell.to/11VOtF2.

Hope this helps.

13 Posts

June 4th, 2013 12:00

I have been told to do that twice now when I called into tech support and the issue is still here. I was told that if that didn't work, then I would have to get the Graphics Card and/or the motherbkard replaced.

13 Posts

June 7th, 2013 10:00

Any help would be nice.

3.1K Posts

June 7th, 2013 11:00

Hi HellzHavoc,

You may provide the service tag of the computer and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so that I can check the further course of action.

1 Message

June 8th, 2013 13:00

I had a similar issue; after I reseated the discrete graphics card, it was finally detected, and I was able to install drivers and have things up and running as they should be. If you want to try this fix, I recommend you consult your model's service manual, keep track of the parts as you disassemble, ensure you and your laptop are grounded, etc. I was hesitant to try this even though my laptop was out of warranty, but it's definitely worth a try.

Here's what I have:

• Alienware M17x R3 default build
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • AMD Radeon 6870M
  • Intel Integrated Graphics
  • Drivers from the Alienware Resources CD
  • Anti-static wrist strap + metal object for grounding

I've previously tried:

• Rebooting
  • Reinstalling and updating drivers
  • Reinstalling Windows from the Alienware Windows DVD
  • Reinstalling Windows from a backup I made

3.1K Posts

June 14th, 2013 11:00

Hi HellzHavoc,

Thank you for providing the information; appreciate it. Are you comfortable re-seating the graphics card of the computer? If yes, would suggest you to re-seat it and check if you experience the same issue. Please refer to the Service Manual.

Let me know the findings.

13 Posts

June 18th, 2013 19:00

What do you mean by re-seating it? Do you mean take out the entire GPU and put it back in? If so, then it still doesn't resolve the issue.

3.1K Posts

June 20th, 2013 11:00

Hi HellzHavoc,

I have sent you a private message. Awaiting your response.

No Events found!