Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2013 05:00

Alienware M17x freezes when unlocked

Hi guys, i've got a problem where whenever i enter my password on my laptop's lock screen, it'll freeze and i have no choice but to turn my laptop off by the power button.

i don't get this problem when logging into my laptop from start-up, only if i am attempting to unlock it.

i know that i could simply shut down my computer rather than locking it, but that's extremely inconvenient when i then have to shut down (and subsequently, reopen) all my design software and files, just because i have to go out for half an hour. (obviously this problem is even more inconvenient, though!)

anyone know what's going on here and how to fix it? i tried looking through google, but i couldn't find anyone with the same problem, only similar ones. again, my computer just immediately freezes on the lock screen (with the icon and password box), it doesn't make it any further than that.

thanks!

2.6K Posts

August 8th, 2013 05:00

Hello Kr0nus,

In order to assist you further, I would request you to help me with the following details:

• Since when are you facing the issue?
  • Were there any recent hardware or software changes made on the computer?
  • What is the Operating System installed?
  • Did you check if the same happens in the Safe Mode? If not, I'd request you to boot the computer into Safe Mode and check. Restart the computer. Keep tapping F8 at the Dell Logo Screen. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode. Press Enter. Check if the computer is freezing while unlocking the system.

Please write back with the details.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2013 12:00

Hi Allan, thanks for a fast reply.

I've had this issue almost as long as i've had the machine; since February. Since then I've updated bios and some other drivers for an AC adapter problem i had (the problem existed before these updates). I'm running windows 7 only, and there haven't been any significant software/hardware changes.

I've just booted in safe mode, no freezing at all. Afterwards I decided to try and replicate the problem in normal circumstances, and was unable to. I tried both locking the laptop, and putting it into sleep mode manually, but the laptop did not freeze when I tried to log in.

i'm not sure if the length of time the laptop is in sleep mode has anything to do with it, but the freezing will always occur after i have left the laptop 'sleeping' for a while.

2.6K Posts

August 11th, 2013 03:00

Hello Kr0nus,

I would request you to run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA / ePSA) Diagnostics to check the functionality of the hardware components installed in the system. Run the test and check if gives any error code. Note down the error code and update me with the same, would let you know the next course of action. 

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!