Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2014 14:00

Alienware M17xR3 not recognizing graphics card anymore

Hello everybody,

my laptop is an Alienware M17xR3 with a Nvidia GTX 560m. The laptop has been running smoothly for about two years. Then some months after my guarantee expired all of sudded the laptop started not recognizing the graphics card anymore.

Graphics card is not recognized in Windows and the device manager. The graphics card is also not recognized in my BIOS stating "discrete graphics 1 not detected" instead of "discrete graphics 1 NVIDIA GFX" as it should be.

Usually the graphics card is not recognized from booting up the laptop. Once it is recognized on boot it usually works properly. Only once the laptop bluescreened and lost the graphics card on restart.

1. Graphics card temperature is below 60°C and also fails when cold

2. I did everything stated in Dell knowledge base for this problem (Alienware M17x R3, R4 & M18x R1, R2 does not detect its discrete video card(s))

3. Drivers are ALL up to date. BIOS was flashed from A08 to A12. It had no effect. Fn+F7 (I/D GFX) has no effect. It seems to work or fail by pure chance.

4. AlienAuthopsy shows no problems on video card test.

The problem has been widely discussed in several boards where it came down to Dell replacing graphic cards or mainboards sometimes solving the problem and sometimes persisting problems in spite of hardware replacements.

I have no idea what to do and as my guarantee has expired some months ago it is not an easy job getting some information about the problem or talking to someone though the problem is known to Dell/Alienware and already was known during my time of guarantee. I thing it is more of a design failure instead of a hardware failure.

Also Alienware support in Germany is hard to get or contact with all links from AlienAuthopsy for support 404ed and most redirecting to Dell where they than 404 or you get lost in the depths of the Dell homepage.

Can anybody help me?

Greetings from Germany,

Johannes

• 

2.7K Posts

December 22nd, 2014 16:00

There is a big possibility that the video card is damage, I will recommend you to take the system to local repair shop so they can troubleshoot the computer and make sure it’s the video card the one faulty. 

December 28th, 2014 06:00

Thank you Milena!

Over the holidays I had no possibility to go to a computer store. The next days I have to search for a new local shop. There has been one but it is out of business now. Do you think a small computer store can troubleshoot an alienware laptop? I don't know if the laptop's hardware specifications make it possible for non-Dell-technician to really make sure the graphics card is damaged.

In the meantime the laptop works in about half of the times I boot it up. Yesterday and today the graphics card was always detected at first startup and works fine but last week the card was only rarely detected.

• 

2.7K Posts

December 29th, 2014 18:00

Yes they might be able to help you out, however you can explain them the situation before taking the system to the store. 

No Events found!