Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2015 19:00

Alienware M17xR4 Speakers not working, and Alienware AlienFX Button on Keyboard not working.

TITLE IS MAIN DESCRIPTION. 

I bought this laptop off a pawnshop about half a year ago. Everything was in working condition. The speakers were working, and the AlienFX button on the top right was working. About 2 weeks after buying the computer, the button on the top right for the AlienFX shortcut stopped working. I now have to click on the bottom right icon on the screen to access that function, and that button has become completely useless. About 4 months of using the computer, I updated to Windows 10, and around that time my speakers stopped working as well. I now have to connect Bluetooth speakers, or any headphones just to listen to anything. I am connected to the same speaker option that I was before the Windows 10 update. Windows says the speaker is transmitting sound, but the physical speaker isn't doing that.

Troubleshooting attempts done:

• Tried updating ALL see-able items to fix both problems. This includes the graphics card updates and windows updates.
  • Tried re-installing the speaker driver, updating it to the newest one(apparently that is the newest one), and enabling the older Microsoft windows sound driver version as well.
  • Tried troubleshooting the speaker, Windows said there was no problem.

Is there a driver I can reinstall to fix the top right button for the AlienFX to work again? And what else can I do about my speakers? Thank you for helping!

LOOKING FOR ANY METHOD EXCEPT HAVING TO TAKE THIS THING APART. I HAVE NOT DAMAGED THE COMPUTER IN ANY PHYSICAL WAY, AND I HOPE IT WILL NOT HAVE TO COME TO ME TAKING A  SCREWDRIVER TO IT. I AM UNFORTUNATELY NOT A TECHNICIAN, AND I CAN MIX THINGS UP VERY EASILY.

Sorry if this was confusing in any way, but I hope this problem can be fixed. Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

December 14th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

Unfortunately, according to the policy document, the M17x series will not be supported on Windows 10. Some users have successfully installed Windows 10 on these non-supported systems. But they did all the driver investigation (example = installing 7/8/8.1 drivers) to force it to work. Dell does not have the resources to do this on non-supported systems. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena for assistance.

No Events found!