Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2014 23:00

Alienware MX17 R3 issue with Optical Driver and Card Reader

Hi everybody,

I have a Alienware MX17 R3 and since I uninstalled Daemon Tools Lite my Optical Driver (CA30N) and Card Reader (9-in-1 Card Reader) won't work.
I called Dell more than three times already, they keep saying that I need to replace both parts but they don't even tell me to download anything.

I already ran Alien Autopsy, Dell System Detect and the other test that runs on the boot screen, they don't show any problem with my Card Reader and Optical Driver.

I browsed Dell's website for the drivers, installed them but didn't work, I just don't know what else to do.

By the way, I'm from Brazil and they charge, here, U$400 to fix your computer, so please help me!

Thank you!

1.8K Posts

June 11th, 2014 11:00

Hi!

I recommend you use AlienRespawn to go back to factory settings in case the problem is related to software. If the issue persists after this, it means the problem is most likely related to hardware and the parts need to be replaced. 

3 Posts

June 12th, 2014 00:00

Hi Naomi!

There's just one problem.

The first time I formated my Alienware, the dell assistant who helped me over the phone told me to just wipe everything from the HD, including the partition with the factory settings, so I think I can't use anymore the AlienRespawn tool.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you

901 Posts

June 12th, 2014 01:00

Try going to the Dell driver download page and using your service tag find the drivers that relate to your laptop, once you have done that run the current configuration auto-detect, that will scan you laptop for whatever hardware you have installed.

Once you have successfully run that program look under each heading and see if there is a firmware update for your optical drive, make sure you are 1000% positive it is the correct model before downloading and installing it.

Here is a link to a M17xR3 Card reader driver for win 7, not sure if it is the mediacard reader or PCIE card driver

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2Y8D0&fileId=2947409229&osCode=W764&productCode=alienware-m17x-r3&languageCode=EN&categoryId=CS

Here is a link to a firmware update, I don't know if its for your model

http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/en/audhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=FM0HF&fileId=3171292183&osCode=W764&productCode=alienware-m17x-r3&languageCode=EN&categoryId=RS

1.8K Posts

June 12th, 2014 15:00

Hi Naomi!

There's just one problem.

The first time I formated my Alienware, the dell assistant who helped me over the phone told me to just wipe everything from the HD, including the partition with the factory settings, so I think I can't use anymore the AlienRespawn tool.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you

Why don't you try System Restore instead? 

No Events found!