Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2015 06:00

Alienware MX17 R4 some keys stop working randomly

Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum but I would really appreciate your cooperation and help in this matter. I have a Alienware R4 and it is working great apart the fact that from time to time some keys from the keyboard stop working and eventually without restart the keys would be back to normal and then start playing up again. It doesn't matter if the laptop is cold or hot, if it has just been started or not, it just randomly starts this problem.

I have repositioned the ribbon cable, reinstalled the windows, cleaned everything,  keep the laptop on a cooling pad and none of all these work. I have tried an external keyboard and that's on perfect working order and also I tried using the PSA diagnosis tool which came up with no faults. When the keyboard doesn't work, it's not happenin only in windows but also in bios and PSA so I had to use an external keyboard.

Moreover from time to time when I switch on the laptop it doesn't pass the boot screen logo, it doesn't matter how long I keep it that way, I have force switching it off by keep pressing the power button and when I fire it up again it works. I tried clearing the CMOS and everything.

Could somebody help me with the issues I'm facing please?

I'd very appreciative to any help.

Thank you so much

901 Posts

October 6th, 2015 07:00

Check your system BIOS and make sure you have the latest.

If you don't then update, make sure to cycle through the BIOS updates, for example, don't jump from A06 straight to A12, do all the ones inbetween.

If you already have the latest BIOS, try uninstalling and re-installing alienware OSD software, it's a bit of a long shot but it may work.

If your still having problems after that then I recommend a new keyboard, you should be able to pick one up on ebay for under $35.

If you have the same issues with the new keyboard you may have to purchase the keyboard/motherboard connector, their only about $15 each

4 Posts

October 6th, 2015 09:00

Oh hi,

Thank you for your reply and help.

It had A12 and I upgraded to A13 but still didn't make a difference. I did that about 2 months ago and still does the same thing. Do you think worth going back to the older one and start upgrading as you suggest?

Also what connect lor between the motherboard and keyboard you say? I know there is only one ribbon cable which is "sticked" to the keyboard. I've read other forums and people changed their keyboard with no success whatsoever. Might be from the motherboard?  I quite doubt it but ... I was thinking of the keyboard controller.

I'm looking forward for your reply.

Thank you so much

4 Posts

October 6th, 2015 14:00

Hiya,

Soldered GPUs in the newer alienwares? I wanted a R5 (R1) but it was quite expensive and I went for the R4 as it is an awesome piece of kit, regardless the issues I've got now.

From your past experience, do you think could be related to the mobo? The thing is i've never encountered a similar problem in the past with laptops. The keyboard now works, 5 mins later won't, then another 2 minutes it might work it might not and so on. It's quite strange, and the fact I thought straight to the keyboard controller from the mobo is the fact that it has only certain keys which stop working, B, N Left CTRL Enter and some others but not too many but it's very frustrating.

What should be the first option to try out? Keyboard or the ribbon cable? I've looked on ebay and it seems to be 30 quid that ribbon cable, but if it does work, i'd happy if I have to spend only 30.

I'm looking forward for your reply and thank you so much for your help. It's really much appreciated.

901 Posts

October 6th, 2015 14:00

Hiya.

I cant recommend you downgrade your BIOS and install any missed updates, you could completely brick your system that and I don't want that!!!

Here's a picture of the keyboard connector I was talking about

8078.$_1.jpg

These alternatives are a cheap fix, if they don't work then you very well may have a problem with your mobo, but best to try the cheap options first.

If you have a R4 then try to fix it, you wont like the new hamstrung alienware laptops, they put a VW engine inside a Lamborghini - BGA processors and soldered GPU's - YUK

No Events found!