Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2015 07:00

Alienware X51 Continuous beeping no boot, freezes, blue screens and random shutdowns

Hello!

I have a 2 year old alienware X51 that has, for a long time now given me much trouble.

When it boots, it will randomly freeze (Have to forcefully turn it of via the power button), blue screen or reboot. This mostly happens with applications such as Chrome or even Windows Explorer, it rarely happens when Im playing videogames or doing demanding tasks. After it reboots, it just won´t turn on. The screen stays black and it keeps making a beeping noise indefinitely (the most i counted before turning it off forcefully was 23). After this, I have to wait a couple of minutes and try again. Sometimes, the same thing will happen, others the computes will work fine (playing, browsing the web, etc) until I turn it off normally. The strange thing is this behaviour sometimes occurs for 1 complete week or many weeks, then It won´t have trouble for some days, weeks or even a couple of months (rarely). I already took it to my local Dell Store where they checked it and only told me that they had to do a complete formatting (which I have done myself on numerous ocations).

At first, because of the screen freezing I tought it was the video card, so I changed it(I also wanted to upgrade it) from the gtx 550 (the videocard it had from factory) to a GTX 660 (Yes, I know it is not supposed to be upgraded to a 660 because of the PSU but I upgraded and have been playing with it many high end games with no problem at all, also to notice that the problem started with the GTX 550 so the GTC 660 has nothing to do with it).

Any help would be very much appreciated since it seems that Dell Store couldnt suggest anything better than formatting...

• 

2.7K Posts

February 11th, 2015 10:00

I will recommend you to run a PSA diagnostic just to make sure the hard drive is in good conditions, if you don’t get any error and you continue to have random one beep errors then there could be a problem with the motherboard.

3 Posts

February 15th, 2015 15:00

Hello, and thanks for answering!

I have already done that and there seems to be no problem, the beeps are not only one, there are a lot (I actually think infinite) The strange thing is sometimes I can use it without problems, playing high end games on high graphics settings and everything. Actually im answering from this computer. Any other possibility?

• 

2.7K Posts

February 17th, 2015 14:00

There is a possibility that the motherboard is starting to fail, however you can try to run the extended PSA that will check the memory status and you can test the system with one memory at the time just to make sure is not a memory problem.  

No Events found!