Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2012 09:00

Alienware X51 Graphics Card heating up and fan does not spin (0 rpm)

Hello, I purchased and bought the Alienware X51 system for my HTPC, and been having nothing but troubles. The system will just freeze whenever I watch movies (sound froze as well, continuously playing the same sound it froze at), heck, even youtube at full screen froze the system. I ran 3D mark 2011 to test if the graphics is working fine and it froze within a minute.

I checked through the forums and installed HW Monitor. To my horror (as in the screenshot), the gtx 555 temp is hovering at 90++ C (100C ++ when I watched youtube! ), and the fan speed for the gtx 555 stayed at 0 rpm. And it does feel like 0 rpm as the system is extremely silent.

Any help guys? No mod done to anything yet.

Even the Tech Support has no idea on what's going on.

Its only a week old, does this qualify as some sort of DOA?

p/s: tried speedfan as well, does not detect any fan on the Graphics card. And btw, the X51 is way quieter than my HP Elitebook notebook, which I find fishy as I expected the fan to be quite noisy when I load it with movies/games.

8814.overheat.jpg

2.4K Posts

July 11th, 2012 10:00

Read this and see if this is what is going on with yours.

Alienware X51 - System overheating or shutting down

support.dell.com/.../document

11 Posts

July 13th, 2012 03:00

Nope, no good. Still the same. I called the local Dell Support again and they have no idea how to proceed with my case as they have no clue. I asked for a replacement unit to replace my faulty unit but they say they refused to do it.

What am I or Dell is suppose to do now? I have a faulty white elephant lying at the corner of my hall for almost 2 weeks :(

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 13th, 2012 07:00

Per the link morblore posted, did you verify that the video card fan was spinning freely while you had the case open? Have you reseated the video card riser assembly in the motherboard slot?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 13th, 2012 08:00

If the video card fan is not spinning and you have reseated the power cord going into the video card, the video card should be replaced. Contact Dell Support in Malaysia and have them send out the replacement video card. You can swap them out.

11 Posts

I can take a video of it you require it. Just let me know I'll be more than happy to do it.

11 Posts

Hi Chris & morblore, yes I did what its stated in the doc. Nope the fan on the gtx 555 did not spin, and I tried both 6 pin power cable. The other fans were spinning fine no problem. Do you think there's a problem with the power rails?

11 Posts

July 13th, 2012 09:00

Already done that with the local tech support here in Malaysia, they swapped the card but it still display the same symptoms and they too are dumb-founded about the root of the problem. That was why I was pushing for a OBD replacement unit. Or its just pure bad luck that all the video cards they brought all have faulty fans.

Any chance of both the 6 pin power rails not delivering power?

11 Posts

July 16th, 2012 02:00

Just an update, my pal brought over his 7870 and suggested that I disassemble and reassemble back the system to see if it helps, and after doing that (I find that the power cable to the ODD is half way plugged when i opened it), the fan on the 7870 spun. I replaced back my gtx 555 and found that the fan was working finally! I ran unigene heaven for 30 minutes and so far so good, no crashes and HW monitor reported a max temp of 58C with 1250 rpm on the fan speed.

I guess it was just a manufacturing process defect. Perhaps Dell could keep in mind in tightening process to isolate process faults to real component defect fault.

Thanks a lot Chris/morblore!!! I think you guys were more helpful than the local tech guy over here =.=. When he dropped in the last time, he din't even bother putting back all the power cables in the retention clip and they were everywhere when I opened the case!

September 20th, 2012 01:00

It's happen to me before. For my case, I connect GTX card mini-HDMI to monitor HDMI instead of default HDMI. That mean, it use the GTX card all the time even when I browse or idle. The reason I don't use default HDMI is because it priorities is Intel HD card instead of GTX card (vice versa for mini-HDMI) .

Check your "Set Physic Configuration". Make sure you use Auto-Select so that when you not in game-mode, your GTX card is turn off and it use internal graphic card (Intel HD). If you don't use Auto-Select, your GTX card is running all the time and it become hotter. Worst case which happen to me, there is possibilities the GTX fan is not spinning when it in non-game mode and cause the temperature to reach more than 85c)  to achieve quite sound.

No Events found!