DarenDussault
1 Nickel

Alienware X51 I3 to I7 question

Jump to solution

Hi, I'm planning on purchasing a Alienware x51 for my child, but he doesn't want a I3, he rathers an I7. I don't want to spend more than 1000$ on it for now, so I was wondering if it was possible to buy an after marker Quad-Core I7 to put it after a while. I want to do this becayse I am buying him his computer now, and his birthday is 1 month after, so for a birthday present he'd get the I7 processor. Would this be possible? Thanks. 

P.S. : He's complaining about the 4GB part, I was thinking of giving him my 16GB RAM, can you also do this? 

Thanks, I really hope the I7 would be replaced by the I3 easily. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
7 Plutonium

Re: Alienware X51 I3 to I7 question

Jump to solution

Hi DaranDussault,

I see a mid-range X51 for $949 that should work for you. The i5-2320 is a quad core processor which will give equal performance to the i7 but without hyperthreading. For most users, this is perfectly fine. I would go with the standard 6GB RAM for now. That will be cheaper to upgrade later.

2 Replies
Highlighted
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Hi DaranDussault,

I see a mid-range X51 for $949 that should work for you. The i5-2320 is a quad core processor which will give equal performance to the i7 but without hyperthreading. For most users, this is perfectly fine. I would go with the standard 6GB RAM for now. That will be cheaper to upgrade later.

DarenDussault
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Alright, thank you! If I may ask, what is the difference between hyperthreading and no?

0 Kudos