Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 4th, 2017 18:00

Alienware X51 R1 Blank Screen

I bought this back in 2012 with BIOS version A06. I intended to upgrade my GTX555 with a newer card which requires BIOS update to A07 and A14. 
So I inserted a DOS Boot-able usb flash drive and restarted my PC. I pressed F12 and selected a boot option which I can't remember. It boot into Windows as if nothing happened.
I restarted the PC again and pressed F2. In boot sequence page, I couldn't seem to find the option to boot into USB drive. Being a fool, I selected UEFI USB Drive without knowing what it does. It went straight into BSOD during restart. 
I long-press the power button to switch off the PC followed by a quick press to switch it back on. And now the PC won't boot. Blank screen. No Alienware Logo screen and no BIOS screen. No beep (error code). Nothing. CPU Fan is running and LEDs on Alienware logo and side panels are lit. That's all.
I have tried two monitors on all video ports (DVI, HDMI on both GTX555 and Intel's). No video signal.
I have done CMOS reset by switching the jumper from 1-2 to 2-3, waited 10 sec and switched back. I have removed CMOS battery for 6 hours and installed back. I have unplug power cord, press power button for 30 sec, plug in and start. None works.
Please let me know what else I can do.
Thanks,
Kelvin

29 Posts

February 7th, 2017 01:00

So I contacted Dell and went through troubleshooting. As expected, I had done everything they told me before I called them. So we came to a conclusion that the motherboard may be faulty. Although I couldn't understand how resetting BIOS could kill the motherboard.

Dell sent me a quotation. It cost RM778.16 (USD175.32) for a new motherboard. Engineer onsite (which is not an option) cost another RM152.64 (USD34.39). The total cost is about 25% of a new Alienware Aurora with i5-6400 and GTX950. My current system is i7-3770 and GTX555.

I'm not even sure if replacing the motherboard would fix my PC.

No Events found!