Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2014 00:00

Alienware X51 R1 beeps continuously during start up

Hi, 

Recently, my X51 R1 suddenly restarted in the middle of a program (windows explorer) then it beeped continuously during boot and no image was displayed on screen.  I have searched the net for similar cases and have found out that it may be because of the motherboard.  I have been using this for 1 year and 8 months now. The only hardware upgrade I did was changing the stock GTX 555 OEM to a Palit GTX 660Ti reference card (on December 2013).

In order to deal with the beeping issue, I reseated my Video card then waited for several minutes before turning on the machine (by the way, I put my X51 on a vertical position).  The same thing happened again. 

After that, I reseated my RAM and Video card then waited for several minutes.  I turned on the machine while on a horizontal position, and it booted without errors.

What can be the cause of the beeping issue? If there is something wrong with my motherboard, it should not work anymore, correct?  Is it beneficial to put the X51 on a horizontal position?

I hope someone can shed light on this.  Thanks in advance!

February 25th, 2014 10:00

It could have been a RAM module that wasn't properly seated. The position shouldn't make any difference. The main advantage of having it in a horizontal position is that it won't fall that easily if the surface where it's placed moves.

7 Posts

February 25th, 2014 18:00

I see. Since I put the X51 on a horizontal position, I have not experienced the beeping issue for 3 days now. Still observing the behavior of my unit. Thanks!

1 Message

June 19th, 2014 04:00

i also had this issue and it was freaking me out as i had not anticipated having to buy a new computer and this  rendered it unusable and this was immediately fixed when i place it in the horizontal position thank you!  

1 Message

December 26th, 2014 20:00

Same issue with my x51.  Setting it to the horizontal position fixed it for me as well.

No Events found!