Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2014 11:00

Alienware X51 R2 - ATI Radeon 270X Crashes Windows 8.1

Hi Guys,

I decided to try my luck here, i've bought the Alienware X51 R2 in February 2014 but it always has had problems with the display card a VisionTek AMD Radeon R270X. It will crash and recover daily even though I don't use the PC much for gaming yet or video playing. I've contacted support and they send someone over to replace the graphics card and Riser Card and the engineer ran a hardware test (no problems detected) . The next day I switched on the pc within 2minutes the card crashed again.

My gut feeling is that this AlienWare X51 R2 is lacking some compatibility with Windows 8.1 as when loading in Ubuntu the card has yet to crash.

Things i've done to try to resolve this issue

- Reinstalled Dell stock drivers for X270 card  * FAIL

- Installed Official ATI Drivers (Both stable and Beta version) *FAIL

- Reinstalled entire system *FAIL

- Disabled PCI Gen3 *FAIL

- Got GPU + Riser card replaced by Dell *FAIL

I've texted the engineer that replaced the GPU and he mentioned i'll have to go through the support process again and maybe need to get my motherboard replaced... The timing couldn't be worse as i'm at the beginning of my business startup and need my PC badly.

If anyone has any tips of what I can try it would be much appreciated 

1.8K Posts

June 11th, 2014 19:00

Hi Tommy G,

Any updates from your case? Did you get in touch with Technical Support?

If need further assistance or have any other questions, send me a private message with your Service Tag so I can review your case. 

5 Posts

July 15th, 2014 10:00

I have a X51 R2, bought in march, with a ATI 270X with Windows 7. Often, my screen come black. I reboot and stay black. I have to reboot in Safe Mode so to reset the display, and after that I can boot normally.
Is there any known solution for that?

5 Posts

August 1st, 2014 15:00

I have an Alienware X51 r2 with ATI R9 270x. Either with Windows 7 or OpenSUSE 13.1, I have a black screen. Most of the time, I have a screen with colored bar. Could be white or magenta or cyan, what ever...randomly. It could happens in the boot process or after 2 days. Never know when happens. First, I thought it was Titanfall with the latest update but after ready a lot of post in forums, I found that it's AMD. All new R9 video card have a problem with the driver. If I don't use the AMD driver in OpenSUSE, I'm ok. But not able to play. In Windows, no AMD driver means not able to use Windows properly. The only way to don't have problem it's Safe Mode in Windows or Recovery Mode in OpenSUSE. That means not using the AMD's driver but a simple VGA driver. Apparently NVIDIA have the same issue with their new card. Afterall, maybe they use the same architecture and hardware!!

And AMD do not care about that. They send the problem to builder...like DELL. So the problem will take a lot of time before to be solve. It's not Alienware-DELL, it's ATI, and ATI don't take the problem. It's a hardware problem like the mobo is not compatible with the card. NVIDIA says the same<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>  No one is better. ATI or NVIDIA sit on monopolistic. I have to go back to my XPS 730x with ATI 4870x if I don't want problem and shelf my 1200$ Alienware X51. My gamer side tell to buy PS4 because ATI and NVIDIA is not able to do something good now.

No Events found!