Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2016 16:00

Alienware X51 R2 - Display randomly shutting off

Just recently my computer has been randomly turning off display. This will only happen when I turn it on for the first time after a shut down. It will load Windows, stay on until I try to load a game or application. After loading something, about 5 minutes in my display will turn off  but my PC is still on. I have verified it is NOT the monitor as I have plugged it an Xbox and played multiple games on it.

After the display turns off, I will do a hard shut down by holding the power button. After it boots back up I am able to continue doing my normal things without it turning off. Not sure what it could be? And again, it only happens when I boot it up after a shut down. But after that it works normally. Any ideas or has anyone experienced this?

The only thing I have not done is change the HDMI cable going from the PC to the monitor. Thanks in advance.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

September 19th, 2016 14:00

Hi,

Remember this computer has an integrated video card (HDMI at the top half of the system) and the discrete video card (HDMI at the bottom half). The monitor should be connected to the bottom half.

You can also try updating the video driver from our website.

Let me know how it goes!

5 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 20:00

I had to download my graphics card driver directly from the AMD website. Thanks for the advice! Has not went off in 3 weeks.

No Events found!