Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2015 23:00

Alienware X51 R2 Fan location suggestions

Hello all!  I just have a quick question that I hope someone can give some advice for.

Specs:
Processor - Intel Core i7-4790 3.60ghz
Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-1972-KR SC 4GB
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Memory -16GB Ram

Everything is stock besides the graphics card and i removed the bluray drive....anyway I recently made a few mods to my X51 R2 because it was running way too hot for my liking 80c or above under full load and i know 80c isnt that bad in fact its pretty much perfect but Its just out of my comfort zone.  I have the case laying on its side and I cut some vents in the top of the case for two fans...not exactly the prettiest thing in the world anymore but I used what I had laying around.

x51 1.jpgx51 2.jpg

Like I said lol not very pretty at all but looks don't bother me and they are completely sealed.

I also have a small fan on the left side sucking air out all these fans are sucking hot are out of the case (only when playing games) and it works pretty decent i stay at or just below 70c when playing MGS5 and anything else pretty much all settings maxed or most settings maxed and i over clocked the gtx 970 +110 core +455 Mem making it sit at 1477 core clock and 3900 something for memory clock completely stable.  Sometimes during really intense moments or playing World of Warcraft specifically the temp shoots up to 80 or 90 and crashes and thats even if i reset the card to factory defaults and all fans running including a fan curve for the card itself.  The CPU doesnt get very hot at all the most ive seen is 60c even when i didnt have the fans installed.  I have one more fan that is exactly like the ones on top of the computer that are blowing out and i think i should use the last one to *** air into the case just to keep it from overheating when playing WoW or any other game it does that with...but im not sure where to put it or even if it should be blowing into the case or sucking.  So my question is...where should I put this fan and should it be blowing in or sucking out? or maybe i should flip one thats already on it to be blowing in and install the other in some other area sucking out....i mean...should it go on the bottom? or the top? or the sides? or maybe even the front if i remove part of the bezel or something?  Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance! by the way the third fan is on the left side on the rear sucking out.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 12th, 2015 16:00

Hi, 

You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for possible suggestions.  

No Events found!