Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2013 10:00

Alienware X51 R2 Overheating, Huge framerate drops, Distorted audio

I have an Alienware X51 R2 with a 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, an Intel Core i7-4770 and 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM at 1600Mhz. I basically selected all of the most expensive options for this PC.

Using the latest nVidia drivers (both beta and non-beta), the GPU will overheat very quickly in most games, but not all of them. I can max out Lost Planet 3 and get 60 FPS for hours with no incident, but if I try to max out Lost Planet 2, the GPU will overheat.

In Saints Row 3, nVidia Experience recommends I max out all the settings. For a minute or two, this will run 60 FPS no problem, as it should. However, the GPU soon overheats (around 80 degrees celcius) and audio going through the graphics card becomes incredibly distorted, while the framerate takes a huge hit. I have observed it many times and it is a clear pattern: The card gets really hot and the framerate drops are accompanied by distorted audio.

Audio sounds fine when going through the sound card instead of the graphics card. The framerate will still drop but the audio will not become distorted unless it is going through the graphics card.

One thing I noticed was that, using the original nVidia drivers, the card performed worse overall but did not overheat. It seems to me that the newer drivers automatically overclock the GPU and then, when it gets too hot, they tone it down so it will cool down. I would rather get a consistent framerate than have my card run really fast for a minute, get super hot, then run really slow, back and forth. My X51 shouldn't be performing worse than my M14X (an Alienware laptop) in Saints Row 3 with the exact same graphics settings.

There is plenty of air around the X51 and the room is quite cool. I could even blow a dust-filtering fan directly on the X51 but it isn't enough to keep the GPU cool. What am I supposed to do? How can I stop the GTX 670 from overclocking if that is what is happening?

September 3rd, 2013 15:00

Hi Schnippshly, I would recommend you to do a clean installation of the video card driver. . Also, try following these steps to make sure if the computer is overheating or not. If it is, then it'll require a hardware replacement to fix the problem, so let me know if the issue persists.

245 Posts

September 4th, 2013 15:00

Try disabling PCI-e gen 3 in the bios under "integrated devices" save and reboot and see if the issues goes away.

September 6th, 2013 09:00

Doing a clean install of the drivers caused freezing issues for me and required a few retries, and ultimately nothing was fixed. Then it got to the point where I couldn't even boot into Windows without using the integrated graphics card or setting the PC to safe mode. But when I set the BIOS to disable PCI-e Gen 3 and I set the primary graphics to "Discreet", it successfully booted into Windows on the GTX 670 out of safe mode.

What does disabling PCI-e Gen 3 do and why did that fix it? And do I want it to be enabled?

245 Posts

September 6th, 2013 13:00

PCI-e has different generations (Gen 1,2,3)  It can affect the communication between the graphics cards and the motherboard Bus.  Sometimes current gen graphics cards can have communications issues in Gen 3 mode so disable and fallback to Gen2 is offered.

Right now you are operating in PCI-e Gen 2 mode which is fully backwards compatible and performance has been show to be about the same.  That option is in the bios just in case customers experience issues with communication with their system and the gfx card in Gen3.  Glad it helped solve your issue.

September 6th, 2013 19:00

Well, fortunately for me it for some reason now works on PCIe Gen 3. I still have the primary graphics set to "discreet" and until I feel comfortable that everything is back to normal I don't want to set it to Auto if I don't have to. Although PCIe 2 and 3 resulted in almost the exact same performance for this card, I did notice that PCIe 2 had little hiccups that PCIe 3 didn't.

No Events found!