Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 24th, 2014 03:00

Alienware X51 R2 Random Reboots.

Hello. I purchased and received an Alienware X51 R2 on June 1st 2014. It worked perfectly fine for the first day I received it. Now every single day for no reason at all, whether it is just sitting idle, if I'm watching a video, playing a game etc.. It will just randomly restart. At first the screen goes black and at the same time it sounds like the fan goes crazy. It sits where dust can not easily get into it as well as in a cool room. No matter if I have just started up the computer after giving it 7 hours rest, it can sometimes restart. At first I thought nothing of it but now after experiencing it every day it is becoming a depressing machine to go on. Is there any way I can stop these random reboots?

April 24th, 2015 17:00

Finally after 5 dell tech guys visits...without any long lasting solution to the same repeating problem, I manage to solve my problem my own. It turns out, that Dell is selling computers with a low power/quality PSU to fulfill its system requirements. I bougth an Alienware X51 R2 with a core i7 4730, 16 Gb RAM, 2 TB HD, and Nvidia GTX 760...all of that supported by a 330 watt PSU...while solely that Nvidia card requires 500W... www.geforce.com/.../specifications

Thermal and Power Specs:
97 CMaximum GPU Temperature (in C)
170 WGraphics Card Power (W)
500 WMinimum Recommended System Power (W)
Not to mention the power consumption of the rest of the equipment to its normal or maximum capacity. 
In addition to this, the tiny case design results in a poor ventilation and even worse heat accumulation inside, affecting the normal functioning of the equipment.
So how I solved this? Well I had to spend extra money in buying a new, bigger and better ventilated case and a 700 watt normal PSU, dismantled the whole machine, and rearrange all the hardware into the new case.  And only that´s how I solved it. 
Summarizing: Dell sells a very bad hardware configuration/equipment design and does not give the appropriate support to its clients. 

1.8K Posts

June 25th, 2014 21:00

Hi Kpaget312!

Try the troubleshooting steps on this article and let me know the results. 

November 6th, 2014 22:00

I have exactly the same problem!!! I bought this computer 3 weeks ago, and the problems started just right out of the box. The computer just did not turned on. Dell sent a technician and he replaced the motherboard. It worked fine, for a day...then this new problem came out: random reboots/screen shut goes black then reboot.

I did a research before call back again dell support. Apparently it is processor overheating. I dont use this pc for gaming, i use it for work...3d renderings. Normally reboots happen when rendering, which is processor intensive. But lately, even when web browsing it reboots. I read already all the articles related in the knowledge database, forums whit no real, specific solution. I am not supposed to do the research for dell support, i want dell to give me a real solution.

April 25th, 2015 07:00

Answer:  Another Case of The Pauli Effect.

Bad News  - It happens.

Game On.

BOTD

1 Message

March 15th, 2016 08:00

Recently I face the same problem, when i am playing games, sometimes the screen goes black, sometimes it reboots, and sometime the fan is like crazy and the system cannot be turned on. 

What i think is same, the power of 330w is not sufficient, however, Alienware does not support a 500w power...

March 15th, 2016 22:00

Dear Murphy. 

Indeed, the power supply that comes with this machine was absolutely weak. Dell never took responsability for this. Instead, they keep changing parts for months without giving you a real solution. Finally I decided to buy a bigger more ventiladed case, an 700watt power supply and have a IT guy to change the parts. I spend an extra $300 on this, but it was the only way to solve the problem. 

I spend months looking for a solution on this expensive piece of -sh*t- hardware. And finally I realize that every single "solution" you can find in forums is wrong. The only REAL solution, is to upgrade your power supply, and to do so, you will need also a bigger case, and some extra cables. 

This computer was poorly designed by dell...thank you dell...

follow my suggestions and you will never have that problem again. 

3 Posts

June 4th, 2016 07:00

I have exactly the same problem up to this day, for about 1.5 years now, only that the reboots got more frequent up to every 30 minutes now when I play games. Nearly makes the machine unusable. I would say this is the last one that I bought from Dell, having been a loyal customer for 15 years. Support was not helpful, tried to replace parts, tell me to reset my machine completely, nothing helped. This is supposed to be THE gaming machine.... it makes me angry having wasted the money on this machine.

June 4th, 2016 12:00

Dude they KNOW the problem, they just WONT fix it...do what I did on your own, is the only way. 

3 Posts

June 5th, 2016 06:00

May I ask where you got the bigger case form? And the stronger PS? Did you get it from Dell?

June 6th, 2016 10:00

It´s just any case, bigger than tho one you already have. And the PS I just bought a bigger one, 750watt. Off course I did´nt get them from Dell!!

6 Posts

August 24th, 2016 12:00

You don't have to go through heroic surgery to fix it.  Just change the max CPU speed to 80% and use MSI AfterBurner to lower the GPU speed by a few notches and the thing won't draw so much power during gaming or wake up. I was extremely frustrated until I found the fix posted on youtube

1 Message

September 5th, 2016 13:00

Can you let us know how you did that?  Or post the youtube link?

Thanks!

3 Posts

September 6th, 2016 05:00

I managed to do it. Bought a well ventilated case for 60 bucks, a 750w PSU from Corsair, and it seems to work like a charm. Connecting the motherboard was a bit tricky, but figured it out with the help of the internet. Not a single crash in 3 days, from before it was every 10-30 minutes.

Thanks for the help

No Events found!