Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2016 17:00

Alienware X51 R2 formatting hard drive

Hi everyone. 

It's my first post in this community, so please be polite...

Currently I have Alienware X51. It was shipped with Win8, later I upgraded to Win10. 

I don't have Recovery Discs at all. Never had. 

I tried to install Win7 (I have Win8 as well, but only upgrade) but computer refuses, showing wrong type of disc (exactly system which was used to format). 

Disc had two partitions (except 4 or 5 system partitions): under Win7 installer I removed one of them, formatted but Install Wizard refuse to carry on. 

My Question  is: what's next? Shall I remove all partitions and start over?

Many thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2016 01:00

1. Shall I remove all partitions, even recovery ones?

2. As I understand posts from similar topics, those partitions are somehow useless, if Recovery CD/DVD is lost. Am I right?

1. Yes. As I said, I like to clean install Windows to a blank drive.

2. That is my understanding as well. They are only used to create Dell Recovery Media.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 23rd, 2016 20:00

My Question  is: what's next? Shall I remove all partitions and start over?

Yes.

Unless I'm doing something tricky ... I always like to install to a blank disc (no partitions).

April 23rd, 2016 23:00

Hi.

Thank You for answer.

Shall I remove all partitions, even recovery ones?

As I understand posts from similar topics, those partitions are somehow useless, if Recovery CD/DVD is lost. Am I right?

Best regards

April 24th, 2016 02:00

Even better. It release over 1GB on hard drive.

Last question: How format hdd to allow Win7 to be installed? Now it's refusing due to different file system.

Thank You for You help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2016 11:00

There is no File System on a blank drive with no partitions.

Not sure why you are messing with Win-7 still. From a working PC, you can create a Win-10 ISO bootable flash-drive installer.

Might also be your BIOS settings:

For Win7 try: Legacy, AHCI, SecureBoot-OFF

For Win8/Win10 try: UEFI, AHCI, SecureBoot-ON

April 24th, 2016 12:00

I removed all partitions, switched BIOS options for Legacy, AHCI, SecureBoot Off, then I was able to install Win7. 

Why Win 7? Some games require Games for Windows, which have issues under Win 10.

Not sure about Win 8/8.1, but simply don't want it.

Best regards 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 24th, 2016 15:00

Why Win 7? Some games require Games for Windows, which have issues under Win 10.

Possibly.

But I would not think so because isn't "Game for Windows" a Microsoft creation? Win-10 Compatibility Mode should take care of all that. However, older games might not be fully patched ... that's up to developers.

Glad to hear you got it going, and are satisfied with end-result. [:)]

May 1st, 2016 15:00

So, here what I've done: 

After installing Win7, I installed Games for Windows and one game which require it. 

Updated and tested. Good...

Then I updated Win 7 to Win 10...and everything works as it should. 

Just need to install and update it under Win 7, then upgrade to Win 10. End of story. 

One more thing: I wanted to upgrade GPU. I had GTX 745. Basically, this card is better, than expected. Most games runs easily at 720p medium/high or 1080p low/medium. Depends on game. 

My issue was PSU 240W. According to many, many posts I read, GTX 750Ti was only option. 

But, I found, that MSI launched GTX 950 OCV2, which NOT require PCIe power plug! 

However, card was a little bit over my budget, so decided to buy used MSI GTX 950 OCV1 with single fan, which require power plug. 

So here is result: after 5 hours of GTA V (1080p, all high or very high, vsync off, fxaa 2x) computer still running!!! Didn't switch off or else. And NO OVERHEAT and that means quite quiet. Not completely silent, but not annoying. 

This card IS amazing! Enough for gamer little higher than entry-level. I bought it for £90, so relative cheap. 

Thank You for help and hope I help someone, who wondering about GTX 950.

No Events found!