Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2017 08:00

Alienware X51 R2 occassionally crashing and not starting up with single beeps

Hi all,

I have an Alienware X51 R2 with an i7 3770, 16gb RAM, AMD rx480 and 330w PSU. The motherboard has bios A11, which I can't seem to be upgrade from. It's been running fine in the current spec for about a year. Recently, I've been having a problem where the computer will hang after about 5-10 minutes, forcing a hard shut down. An immediate effort to restart usually leads to single beeping (which I believe indicates motherboard failure). If I then unplug everything and leave it for a little while, plug everything back in and turn on, it normally works fine until the next hang and hard 

shutdown.

Note that the computer will hang even when idling on the desktop, under essentially no load. 

I've tried resetting the CMOS, but the problem persisted after this. I can't tell if the potential problem is the PSU or motherboard. I would have guessed the motherboard, but do they often die slowly like this, or could it be corrupted BIOS?

Thanks for any help/suggestions

July 23rd, 2017 09:00

Hi deafwolf.

looks like Motherboard Issue.

does Windows Reliability Monitor show any Errors?

have you tried to run Dells Diagnostics Tools like EPSA Test?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 11:00

Carbon Based Lifeform wrote:

Hi deafwolf.

looks like Motherboard Issue.

does Windows Reliability Monitor show any Errors?

have you tried to run Dells Diagnostics Tools like EPSA Test?

Agreed.

System also needs perfect AC-Power, like from a good UPS-Battery (APC and CyberPower are reliable brands).

You do those things that  suggested above to verify your Video Card, HDD/SSD, Power-Supply, and Motherboard (and any components on it) are good. If you find a problem repair/replace. 

If nothing appears bad, but you are still having a problem ... I suggest a complete Nuke-and-Pave of system to be sure it's not a Software-Problem (Windows or Drivers) or software corruption. If you complete Nuke-and-Pave without problems, but you ARE STILL having a problem (like maybe while system is heavily stressed)... it's usually an intermittent Hardware-Problem (of which the motherboard is a likely candidate).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 23rd, 2017 13:00

deafwolf wrote:

1. I think the power should be reasonably stable?

2. These only show critical errors due to unexpected shut downs, 

3. I ran the Dell Diagnostics EPSA (with the thorough test mode) and no problems were found.

4. However, I never considered a software issue 

5. Do you think secure boot might be the problem?

1. Why would you think that?

2. Look carefully on each day with red errors. Just turning-off without BSOD is a major hardware failure, 90% of the time (in my experience).

3. Just an initial hurdle that system must pass. Unfortunately, it's not all telling

4. Like the power, you seem to reason-away trouble-shooting steps. If you have a better plan, just do that instead.

5. Not likely. SecureBoot problems prevent booting. However, if you got a Root-Kit virus due to running without SecureBoot on, I guess you could say it was involved. 

The Nuke-and-Pave thread has other good stuff in it though. At some point you will have to either fix the system, start replacing parts in hope, or just junk it.

8 Posts

July 23rd, 2017 13:00

I'm in the UK and the computer is connected to the grid. I think the power should be reasonably stable? At least, issues have not presented themselves before the last couple of weeks.

I looked at the windows reliability monitor and the event log. These only show critical errors due to unexpected shut downs, which I guess is related to when I do a hard shutdown when the computer hangs. 

I ran the Dell Diagnostics EPSA (with the thorough test mode) and no problems were found. However, I never considered a software issue because on the times when the system refuses to start and beeps, it never even gets to the alienware image during the startup. I'm not sure how this could be software related (explanations welcome)?

The other thing I noticed in your explanation of nuke and pave is that the secure boot. I still have secure boot disabled in my bios and I think I'm using the legacy mode. I never changed this because I'm stuck on bios A11 and by all accounts, this was a problematic bios and I am now unable to change it. Do you think secure boot might be the problem?

Thanks for the replies

July 23rd, 2017 17:00

what do you meen by can't update BIOS? what happens? have you tried the USB + AMIBOOT.ROM Update Method?

8 Posts

July 24th, 2017 09:00

I haven't tried that method. I went to the dell website and did the system detect, which told me I should update my bios to A14. Dell provide a tool for that purpose, which runs under Windows. I run it, confirm that I want to update the bios and then wait until it says the update completed successfully. However, when I check in bios, it shows the version is still A11. I've tried to update to both A14 and A12. I could try and downgrade and then upgrade again.

Do you have a link detailing more about the USB + AMIBOOT.ROM update method?

July 24th, 2017 11:00

sometimes you are able to install new BIOS Version after performing Clear CMOS + Power Drain. disconnect everything from your PC, remove the Coin Cell Battery and then hold Power On Button for a Minute. then Boot into Windows and run the BIOS EXE as Admin.

no. i have no Link.

i assume you have AMI Bios installed on your X51 R2. google "HP USB Storage Format tool bootable Drive" and "AMI Bios Update USB".

and / or

you would need to find an extracted Version of the BIOS File not the EXE File you get from Dell.

rename the File in "AMIBOOT.ROM" and copy the File to your FAT32 USB Flash Drive.

now connect the USB Drive to your PC and Boot. hit Power On Button and Press CTRL + Home. hold the Buttons for 5 Sec. the Update Process should start automatically.

that is how it usually works with AMI Bios Files.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 24th, 2017 12:00

Yeah, you have to have the latest BIOS.

See the CMOS/BIOS section of the post in my Featured Content for FreeDOS-based flash.

8 Posts

July 24th, 2017 15:00

I created a bootable USB disk with Rufus and put the executable on it. This seemingly still works and I'm not sure how to get an extracted version of the bios file.

So I reset the CMOS again and did the power drain. Then the next bootup, I booted to the USB disk. DOS gave me the directory listing and I ran the executable. No screen shot, but here's what came up:

------------------------------

Bios update utility

Check model name...ok

Extract files...ok

Check bios version

Current A11

New A14

The new ME version is newer than the current ME

Press y to update BIOS

x to exit

[I pressed y]

Communication mode MEI

Checking firmware parameters

Error 8714: Firmware update not initiated due to file open or read failure
Reading flash...done

Error code 30: problem opening file for reading

-----------------------------

So it appears to be running the bios update but failing. I did a quick search and came upon this thread on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/6j6z92/alienware_x51_a03_to_a06_bios_update_problems/

Which seems to suggest that the update problem is something to do with windows 10 and maybe going back to windows 7 might allow installation

Dell actually do have another bios update for windows 10

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=2YT94&osCode=&productCode=alienware-x51-r2&categoryId=BI

I downloaded this and it says that it can be run in windows or in dos. However, when I run it in windows, it says

"no support this board"

Which makes me not want to try it at boot. Why it does not support this board, I'm not quite sure as I have an Alienware X51 R2. 

Note that the description of the bios update has a title for X51 R2 but then in the description, mentions the Area 51. This is a mistake according to this thread

https://community.dell.com/thread/24124-x51-r2-bios-a12-update-questions

Not sure if I should try that update in DOS.

Thanks for the ongoing help guys, appreciated.

July 24th, 2017 17:00

i typed the Stuff about AMIBOOT.rom because i saw a Thread on other Forum few Weeks ago. someone complained about not being able to Update just like you. someone else extracted the File for him but the File Link was dead already.

i can't say for sure if the BIOS Version A12 works. i have Area 51 R2 and we received our A12 Update on 08.06.2017. yours is from April i believe.

July 25th, 2017 06:00

Hi again.

i googled your Motherboard ID 0KM92T and it looks like you have R1 Model.

google "X51 R1 Download". one of the first Results is the Dell Website. choose "Search Manualy" and change OS to Windows 10 64 Bit and download all Drivers. i checked and everything seems to be available. install all Drivers. once you're done install the BIOS A14 File.

see if it gets better.

regards

CBL

No Events found!