Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2013 12:00

Alienware X51 R2 & whole disk encryption

The Alienware X51 R2 is a great size to take to LAN parties, but I need to protect the data while away.  I want to use a whole disk encryption product like TrueCrypt, but these new systems coming with Windows 8 use GPT (GUID Partition Table) and UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface).  Unfortunately, most whole disk encryption solutions for consumers do not yet support GPT/UEFI.  The next logical step was to explore the use of Bitlocker, but unfortunately I found that the Alienware X51 R2 does not come with a TPM chip and I would need to use a removable flash drive to boot the system each time I want to use it in lieu of a TPM chip.  Not a very practical solution. I'm wondering if there are any other X51 R2 owners out there that have found a better whole disk encryption solution that does not involve using a flash drive with Bitlocker or reverting back to legacy MBR/BIOS boot approach.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 19th, 2013 16:00

Why is having a USB flash drive inserted (when you want the computer to work) not practical?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/hardware-requirements-for-bitlocker-drive-encryption

December 20th, 2013 08:00

Call it personal preference or inconvenience. When BitLocker has been enabled this way, I would need to insert the USB drive each time
I want to boot the computer, so I would have to keep it on me at all times. Good security practices recommend that I shouldn't keep it with my computer or plugged into the computer case at all times.  And when using it in a public event like QuakeCon, there is the risk the USB could get lost or stolen.

It's a little disappointing that there is no TPM chip on the motherboard of this particular model when more modern desktop motherboards are coming with them.

As with any new technology, I guess I'll have to wait for UEFI support to be added to my favorite encryption products.  Until then, I may just have to get by with a low-profile USB key (the ones that look like a wireless mouse receiver).

No Events found!