Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2016 22:00

Alienware X51 R3 - Dell Support Assist consistently freezing/locking up system when launching

My system which is 3 days old, with nothing installed, keeps locking up when launching the Dell Support Assist causing me to have to power off and power back on.

Is there any workaround for this? I've searched Google and it appears this is not an isolated issue.

Any help here?

901 Posts

May 14th, 2016 07:00

Yes.

Remove it via uninstall programs.

A couple of years ago this program was called AlienAutopsy, then Dell dropped that program and replaced it with "Support Assist".

I used to install AlienAutopsy on every Alienware computer I sold, roughly 100 per year.

I stopped using it as soon as the new Support Assist was launched as it caused so many issues on ALL Alienware computers weather desktop or laptop with so little benefit the program really didn't seem worth the trouble.

Unfortunately there has been a slow but steady degradation of "spealized" Alienware "stuff".

First the accessories were removed (Baseball cap, mousepad, protective slip case, name plate, Alienware branded windows dvd's) then they started on the dedicated Alienware software, first to go was Stardock Alien FX, then AlienRespawn stopped installing with a Alienware logo, then AlienAutopsy was removed.

Go figure.....

May 14th, 2016 09:00

Are there any other programs that freeze up the Alienware X51 R3? First time happened on the Alienware app when I changed the performance to 'high performance' upon hitting save it froze and forced me to hold down the power button to reboot.

901 Posts

May 14th, 2016 10:00

Not unless something has configured incorrectly.

When you boot up, do you see a Alienhead logo or the word alienware in the first few seconds?

This will tell me what boot setting you have in your system bios

May 14th, 2016 11:00

Yes, I see the Alienware logo or word when booting. I've seen this yes.

I haven't tried changing the performance settings again to check it the happens again.

901 Posts

May 15th, 2016 08:00

Hi - Which one do you see, the picture or the writing?

No Events found!