Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2014 02:00

Alienware X51 Shutdown

Good day all,
I have just bought an Alienware X51 R2 , but i am experiences a very annoing issue, i'll try to explain.

Since i bought it, so , without installing anything, the system crashes while i' m watching something in streaming or while i am playing for example on Fifa 15.

With "Crash" i mean that it seems that the power has been removed, cause i see no warning message, no error message, nothing, it just shut itself down.

I don't think that it is a power issue because if i turn it on again immediatly , it works properly.

The issue seems something with the VGA ( It is an Ati R9 270 - 2GB)

This is a list of what i have tried to do:
- System restore to factory version.
- Updated VGA drivers.
- Make all the tests with  "alienware Autopsy", no problems, everything passed.
- Updated soundcard driver.- Performed a complete virus scan with Avast.
- Updated Windows with all the necessary windows update.

I have "touched" the computer after every shutdown and it doesn't burn , in fact fans are working properly . The computer has a lot of space above it so i don't think that the temperature can be the trouble.

As i said, the computer is an Alienware X51, Disk:1TB 6 gb/s, ram: 16GB DDR5, Windows 8.1
Let me know if this is a known issue or at least give me some suggestion about how to proceed

Sorry for my bad english :)

Thank you all
Andrea

671 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 09:00

Do you have the computer connected directly to the wall, or are you using a Power bar?
So far, it looks like an issue with either power or the video card.

I's just like to see if the computer can find something

Can you please try and run a Pre-Boot System Assesment?
How to run it: http://dell.to/1pdqJDe

Also, if you could be so kind to send me your computer's Service Tag via PM. I can study your case more in depth.

10 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Josè,

- I'm using a power bar, do you want me to try to connect the pc direct to the wall?

- I've performed the Pre Boot System Assesment, everything is fine and no error message were displayed

- I don't know why, but i was not able to send you a PM, so i sent you my service tag to your email.

Thanks in advance

Andrea

671 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 16:00

I got the e-mail, thanks!

Let's start with that.

Connect the computer directly to the wall and please. Take a screenshot of the Device Manager with the Display Adapter expanded.
Maybe I'll be able to spot something out.

If you can include the screenshot in this thread that would be great.

27 Posts

October 4th, 2014 05:00

Typically a shutdown occurs when your PC is drawing more power than the PSU can supply.  I assume your running an i7 but what power supply do you have 330 or 240v? I'd try upgrading the graphics driver but other than that sounds like you have a hardware issue and you'll need it replaced by Dell.

10 Posts

October 4th, 2014 05:00

Device Manager.jpg

Here is the requested screenshot,  it is in Italian, if you need some translation please let me know

Today i will try to connect pc directly to the wall and i will test it

Thank you

10 Posts

October 4th, 2014 08:00

Yes, i have an I7 processor, by the way i am italian, so my power voltage  is 220v like al the rest of the nation :)

How could i solve the problem if the 220v  is the issue?

10 Posts

October 6th, 2014 11:00

the issue remains also if i attack the pc directly to the wall, any ideas?

27 Posts

October 6th, 2014 12:00

Try installing Msi Afterburner ( ) that will allow you to reduce the power of the card.  It does sound like either your graphics card is drawing too much power for your PSU else your PSU could not be delivering the full 220w.  Do you not have a warranty?

10 Posts

October 6th, 2014 16:00

Yes , i bought the computer 2 weeks ago...

I will try with Afterburner.

What if i remove the left side panel from the case? Could be an attempt or it is unuseful?

I 've red on another website that can be an issue of uncorrect air circulation.

10 Posts

October 7th, 2014 09:00

No , i have only download video driver from dell website and i do not have auto update set.
By the way , the problem persists since i bought the pc , from the first day.

So there were no drivers updated/installed.

I think that it could be a factory mistake on videocard/motherboard or an issue with PSU.

166 Posts

October 7th, 2014 09:00

Did you download a video driver from M$, or anyone else since you got the machine?  Do you have auto update for M$ set?

671 Posts

October 7th, 2014 11:00

I highly doubt that the computer is overheating. But you can try and test it out.

We use HWMonitor to check on the temperatures.
I'd like to see the difference between running the computer in idle and running the computer with a game (hopefully window-moded) that way we can see the temperatures in mid-game.

10 Posts

October 7th, 2014 12:00

Downloaded and tested

these are temperatures during idle time:Idle Temperatures.jpg

and these are the temperatures while playing a video on youtube (the issue happens always on youtube  and just sometimes while playing games)

Youtube Temperature.jpg

As you can see the VGA temperature is now very high, and while i am typing , she is still growning, for example right now, the video on youtube is still playing and temperature is 97°

Now i have stopped the video and she is going back, now is 94.

I think that this is the issue, VGA temperature.

How can i solve it? replacing video card?

10 Posts

October 7th, 2014 14:00

I ve just noticed that the vga fan works at... 9 rpm? i m not an expert but... it shouldn't works like the other fans , so around 1000rpm?

671 Posts

October 9th, 2014 09:00

Well the video card is obviously overheating.
Either
-move the computer to a more ventilated area
-Have an external cooling source
-Replace the Video card

I'd love helping you out with replacing the video card. But I'm only able to dispatch parts within the US and Canada borders.
You might have to call in for Italian support.

No Events found!