Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2012 16:00

Alienware X51 crashing.

I bought an X51 in late June 2012, it keeps crashing then displays an error message that says

"Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered". Display driver NVIDA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 296.36 stopped responding and has successfully recovered. 

The screen goes a red color and becomes grainy before crashing completely and then recovers displaying the message.  Now, so far I have had 3 new monitors,  2 new graphics cards and 2 new hard drives installed by technicians.  The last tech that came round reinstalled Windows completely.  What is left to repair? or is it time for an entirely new system or my money back. Has anyone else had these problems with thier X51. 

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2012 17:00

What is left to repair?  

Motherboard, PSU,Ram,Operating System and drivers. There is a lot more to do so just ask for a system replacment. Less headache that way.

If you want to trouble shoot it some here just let me know and I would be more then happy to walk you through a few things.

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2012 20:00

I was just thinking. Try going to Nvidia and download the latest WHQL driver from them. A lot of x51 owners have fixed the crash you are seeing by doing that.

If you need help finding the driver then just let me know and I will link it for you. Please privde the make of your GPU if you can.

3 Posts

July 28th, 2012 21:00

Thanks,  the technician that came over told me he had downloaded all the latest drivers.  But if you can send the link I'd appreciate it, it can't harm any.  It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 if that assists in narrowing it down.

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2012 21:00

Thanks,  the technician that came over told me he had downloaded all the latest drivers.  But if you can send the link I'd appreciate it, it can't harm any.  It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 555 if that assists in narrowing it down.

Try this one. Many people have used it and it resolved their problem.  http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-301.42-whql-driver.html

3 Posts

July 28th, 2012 23:00

Thanks for your help morblore, I followed the link and installed the new drivers.  I'll give it 7 days, if it dosent crash in that time I'll consider it a success.

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2012 23:00

Thanks for your help morblore, I followed the link and installed the new drivers.  I'll give it 7 days, if it dosent crash in that time I'll consider it a success.

Sounds good. Most of the time it's better to do a fresh install by cleaning out all the old driver stuff but we didn't do that. If it does crash again I would suggest doing that and trying the driver again but lets cross that road when/if we need to.

1 Message

December 19th, 2012 11:00

First I will say: my english isn't very well

I think I've sort of the same issue my screen is normally already a bit greyish but if I play a game like Skyrim, the screens just stops and after a while it says the same problem as you have I think I'm going to buy a new monitor if that doesn't work I send my PC back to alienware.

No Events found!