Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 16th, 2012 15:00

Alienware X51 no Alienware logo at the start of booting up the computer

Hi i recently got ny Alienware X51 my problem is that whenever i boot up my computer i don't see the Alienware logo where it should say which button to press to get into BIOS I don't know what should i do. This is a major problem because i'd like a clean new copy of Windows 7 any help would be appreciated thanks. Aldus

245 Posts

June 17th, 2012 01:00

Connect to the DVI on mini-hdmi on the discrete video card and you will see the BIOS screen.  When in the BIOS you can change the primary display to iGFX if you would rather see the POST/BIOS screen via the onboard HDMI port.  So, it's a personal preference thing really.

7 Posts

June 17th, 2012 02:00

Ok thanks I'll try it!

7 Posts

June 17th, 2012 03:00

Ok it worked but now I'm stuck on something else, I have now plugged my dvi from my computer to my monitor. Right now I'm stuck on the installation screen because I can not for some reason see my cursor. I usually run with hdmi so what I'm thinking is that my computer settings are for hdmi and not for dvi (which is what im using now) I've tried to change to hdmi while I'm on the installation screen but it doesn't work. Any help would be much appreciated thanks

245 Posts

June 17th, 2012 22:00

you can in bios switch the primary graphics to iGFX then you can boot with HDMI and you'll be able to see the post screen and everything else.  It's just that the default primary grfx is set to discrete from factory.

Remember once you switch the iGFX the post/Boot screen with then only be visible when connected to the onboard full size HDMI port.

7 Posts

June 18th, 2012 09:00

Ok, now when i set the dvd for first boot the computer (and i rembered to save it) for some reason don't start up with the windows installation window it just goes straight t the login screen instead of booting it as the cd/dvd some more help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Aldus

June 18th, 2012 10:00

Hi Aldus, here's an article from the dell support site that's going to guide you step by step throughout the Windows 7 installation process.

Let me know how it goes, I'll follow the thread.

7 Posts

June 18th, 2012 11:00

Ok new update here, so since i couldn't do the boot from cd/dvd i decided to ope up my start when i opened my computer and from there go into computer i opened the dvd and made it reinstall so good news is that in now done reinstalling and im at the step where you enter your username and computer name but for some reason it won't work the problem is that my monitor dosen't show when i move my cursor i've tried to reboot the computer and i've also tried to change it from gfxi to discrete and from gfxi to discrete with both of my cables (hdmi, dvi) as always any help would be greatly appreciated

-Aldus

(PS i looked at your link Alex M but it didn't solve the problem for me but thanks for trying to help me out)

June 19th, 2012 18:00

Well Aldus, it seems like we'll need to do a deeper troubleshooting to find out what is going on. Send us an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com including your name, service tag an phone number; and we'll get in touch with you to have this fixed. Also remember to add my name somewhere on the email so I can follow the case.

7 Posts

June 26th, 2012 13:00

Hey Alex, i have sent my mail a week ago, they called me, and i didn't pick up the phone because the phone was on silent mode (no ringtone/sound) but i've sent them a few mails after where i told them to call me agian so we could fix the problem but they didn't call me agian, I'm so sorry that i didn't pick the phone up and i'd love to get help.

I would be very very happy if you would help me.

Thanks

Aldus

7 Posts

June 27th, 2012 13:00

Ok end of thread i was helped by dell support and it worked it was the drivers that needed an update thanks for the help guys bye :)

No Events found!