Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 14th, 2015 20:00

Alienware X51 - not powering on, just the dim white light stays on

Okay, so I was playing FIFA 16 yesterday and the system must have been on for 4-5 hours when this happened. The system turned off itself and been trying to turn it back on since then, but to no avail. The Power Supply Brick is obviously working with the green light on.

I have already tried draining the charge (didn't help). Plus my system is out of warranty so I need to assure myself first as to what exactly is the problem rather than paying 1000 bucks for a technician from Dell visit my home. 

Is there anyway I can check if there is a problem with the "power button"? I obviously want to begin from there prior to proceeding on major components like motherboard. F.Y.I. I am from India and when I called the technical support, it took me around 15 minutes to explain to the technician that I am having a Desktop PC with an external power supply. He kept thinking that I was talking about a laptop despite me being very articulate of the facts. This too in a way helped make up my mind not to trust the "TECHNICIANS" here and rather figure out the problem myself and to consult them as a last resort in case I need a replacement done.

P.S. was very happy with the performance of my X51 till now. Really need to get my machine up and working again. Please help!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 15th, 2015 08:00

Hi, 

In a situation like this, we would have the motherboard replaced. If you're willing to open the system up yourself, you could also try clearing the CMOS jumper. Click here to view a post from Chris with instructions on how to do this.

2 Posts

September 16th, 2015 14:00

Hey man, i have the same problem. Well sorta. Im in the UK and have owned an X51 for nearly 2 and a half years now. I was mid game when my computer powered of without any warning.

It never powered on from that point again. I had my mate look into it due to it being out of warranty and it needed a new power board because apparently these days its ok to sell a computer for £1000 with it having an insufficient power distributer. 

I don't know alot about computers, I'm a plumbing and heating engineer but i do know if anyone asks me about computers id tell them not to buy anything from dell as they clearly give not one shred of concern for there customers. 

My computer has costed me £150 already and its not fully repaired yet. I just hope yours will be ok mate.

4 Posts

September 16th, 2015 15:00

Hey Rodrigo, clearing CMOS jumper didn't help. Still the same issue, there's just the white dim light on top of the unit. System isn't turning on, no fan noise nothing!

What should I do?

4 Posts

September 16th, 2015 20:00

Craggy, I thought support would be better there in UK but sad to see dell disappointing their customers everywhere.

I too got this system for around 80000 INR. My dad, my friends, everyone advised me against it and suggested me to assemble one on my own. I knew assembling myself would save me alot. But, I primarily decided to go for alienware thinking I won't have to worry about situations as these. 

My question here would be that even though separate motherboards and processors come with a 3 year warranty, why is it that you (people at DELL) continue to decline us in giving free replacement/repair or a refurbished unit. Do the Intel processors and chips or be it any other component for that matter lose their "performance guarantee" when used in an alienware system?

And why is it that you keep shunning off your customers once their (Dell) warranty of 1 Year is over? I mean I paid a heck lot of money for my system, to DELL. I would expect that I should be at least getting free technician visits within a span of 3 Years who could at least diagnose what the problem is. Extra charges for the replacement component is a separate issue altogether. 

P.S. I'm having a HP desktop PC too for the past 4 years and apart from the minor issues it hasn't ever died on me. And what do I get on paying extra to Dell? Poor after sales and customer support.

4 Posts

September 16th, 2015 21:00

BTW Craggy, were you able to turn on your system after replacing the power board?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

September 18th, 2015 11:00

Hi,

It could be an issue with the motherboard, we recommend you send the system in for repairs. You can contact the Dell Sales department for information on the repair services that we can offer. Click here for the contact numbers. 

2 Posts

September 18th, 2015 12:00

No mate, not yet although I now have that white ambient light. I didn't have it before as my power board was fried breaking the circuit so when I tested it with a multi metre it showed nothing.

Now that the updated power board is in (the R2) I have power round the unit but it wont power up, no fan noise, no beeps, nothing. Just that *** annoying white light.

It just goes to show that yet another multi national company making big bucks gives no ***** about its customers as it has so many. I try and talk to people at dell over the phone, I get through after waiting around 20 mins and when I do they basically treat me like an invertebrate. I repeat the same process again and again and again. But I get no were. 

No Events found!