Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2015 08:00

Alienware freezing issue

I have a three year old Alienware desktop.  Recently, I have experienced freezing and occasionally blue screening at random times.  The prevalence of this behavior increases whenever I am playing a Total War game through steam.  This typically happens within 5 to 15 minutes of starting the game.  I have had Best Buy's Geek Squad look at this issue four times now with no solution.  I know the computer is still a great machine but as primarily a gaming machine this is making it almost untenable to use.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.  I apologize for not posting any pertinent system info, I am not extremely computer savvy.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 7th, 2015 16:00

Have you already reinstalled the video card drivers? Since the blue screen appears to happen mainly when you're gaming, there is a good chance it could be a video driver related problem. Also, make sure you have the latest Bios version on the system. If you have a previous version, it would be good to update it to the newest version.

The drivers and the Bios firmware can be download from the Dell site. I can provide to you the download link but we would need to know the system model and revision (if there is one). 

May 7th, 2015 17:00

It's an Aurora R-3.  AMD Raedon 6900.  BIOS version 05.06.04  Windows 7 64 bit

327 Posts

May 7th, 2015 20:00

first. your desktop have liquid cooling??can you checked the cpu temperatures.  if it had high temperatures the main problem can be that the heatsink is covered by something like gel, produced by the deterioration of the liquid cooling like this:

3463.output.jpg

after cleaning it. will look like this:

1307.input.jpg

if your desktop use a normal heatsink. you need to change the thermal paste ( preferably ic diamond or tuniq tx-4) and clean the fans and all with a paint brush.

second. if your problem isnt the heat; probably you are having problem with your hard drive disk. you can do a test to prove the health of the disk.

if you put a image of the blue screen i can help you better :) 

i hope the answer helped you :) 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 8th, 2015 11:00

Thank you for confirming this information. Click here for the AMD 6900 driver download link. Make sure to reinstall this driver.

Like Judal7837 mentioned, it would be helpful if you can provide a screenshot of the blue screen information. If you are not sure how to obtain this information, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to retrieve the blue screen error information from within Windows. 

May 9th, 2015 04:00

IMG_3790.JPG

Additionally my computer has a liquid cooling system, not heat sinks.  Thanks for all the help!  Keep it coming!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 11th, 2015 13:00

Have you added any hardware components recently? Bug check 0x7F typically occurs after you install a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or if installed hardware fails. Please run a PSA/Diagnostic test. To run this test, go in to the boot menu first.

To get to the boot menu press the F12 key when the system is booting up at the beginning. In the boot menu, select the PSA/Diagnostic option and press enter. The test will automatically begin to run, please wait until the end of the test and let me know if you receive an error code or message.

No Events found!