Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2010 16:00

Alienware m11x battery

Hi, I recently purchased an Alienware m11x and I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my battery. On the website, they promised 7-8 hours of battery life. Now I know that that is when the settings are really low and only if there are very little applications running but I am only receiving 3 hours (4 if I'm lucky) of battery life. I've put my laptop on the lowest brightness and even on power saver mode. I am using it only for web browsing and microsoft word. It is set on integrated graphics as well. I don't know if this is normal or if I should call Dell support.

Bottom line:

• I only get 3-4 hours of battery life
  • It is on low brightness, integrated graphics and on power saver mode
  • I use it for microsoft word, internet browsing (like facebook)

Is there something wrong with my battery? Should I call dell? Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

1 Message

November 27th, 2010 17:00

Yes I Get this same problem..... Tho I cant tell if my GPU is on the Nvidia or the Intergrated..... I think that is my problem...... I wouldnt mind so much if I got at least 5 hours out of it...... but its pushing it to get to 4 hours...... Can a dell representive help????

75 Posts

November 29th, 2010 02:00

same problem here. I was at the library just using word on power save mode mid brightness. WIFI off for a couple hours and i only got less than 4 max...seriously considering returning mine and eating the restocking fee..no fun

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 29th, 2010 08:00

* Go into the Bios- Advanced- Graphics Mode
* Change it to Switchable
* Exit the Bios saving the change
* Once your in class/library, press FN+F6 and choose Integrated Video
* Test the battery life

75 Posts

November 29th, 2010 12:00

i have the R2...i dont see  that option in the advanced bios. are you sure thats only an r1 option? thought r2 used auto switching technology

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 29th, 2010 15:00

Correct. I was not sure if you two were running R1 or R2 so I guessed.

The R2 uses the Nvidia Optimus technology for automatic switching between the integrated Intel GMA HD and the Nvidia GeForce GT 335M discrete.

The R1 uses a manual bios change to switch from the integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD and Nvidia GeForce GT 335M discrete.

The 8 cell battery should provide at least 5 hours of gaming, so I would think more for less intensive usage. Will email this to engineering.

75 Posts

November 30th, 2010 21:00

thanks a lot. yep mines an r2 and i had my wifi off and everything. I know its a refurb and im sure the battery i "OK" but i'm really having multiple issues with my laptop which ive had for a week now

75 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 01:00

can i ask for a replacement chris?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2010 08:00

Not here. Technical Support (phone or email) would need to set that up.

75 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 21:00

but would my complaints be viable for a replacement

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2010 07:00

I can only speak for me, but you won't know until you try.

2 Posts

December 5th, 2010 02:00

i actually called Dell. They replaced my battery. I still don't see much of a difference. I get around 4 hours now

No Events found!