Remidev
1 Nickel

Alienware m14x support, related to Mic/Webcam issues and a Videocard issue

Hi, owned my alienware m14x for a little less then 6 months now, and im overall really happy with it. i've had some bad luck in terms of issues with this particular laptop, but i know that it happens some times and i was just unlucky enough to be one of those people. currently, i've had the screen replaced twice, first for the microphone not working, the again because the webcam stopped working, and now, the mic doesn't work again with the new screen Smiley Sad  . Before i whine anymore, id like to say, that despite the issues i've had, the support has been amazing, both on this forum and the people that dell send over. but im having quiet a bit of trouble, because as it stands, i've yet to acctually have anything permanently fixed on my computer. Im about to pick up the phone and see if i can get local home support guy to head over again, but i wanted to know, one last time before i bug him for the 3rd time, (were pretty much good friends at this point because of the amount of time he's spent in my home) if anyone else has had this much trouble with their alienwares, on a side note, i was wondering if it's even heard of for dell to simply give up on a laptop. I've heard of someone say that after a few attempts to fix their computer theirs was replaced and exchanged for a m14x R2. more of just wishful thinking then anything else, but if this next attempt doesn't fix the issues, im honestly not sure what to do.

Currently, the issues with the computer (That i know of!) are:

-Microphone only picking up very loud noise or tapping directly on the mic

-frequent freezing or bluescreening during games

- The dedicated NVIDIA card is not being used by any program, even when i set it through the NVIDIA control panel under global settings to be used on all programs. I spoke to my local support guy when he came over most recently, and he said as far as he could tell, it was simply a bad card. he said he couldn't fix it at the time because he wasn't given the parts, but that i should call again, tell the phone support what he told me, and that he would then get the parts from them.

Thanks very much for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Alienware m14x support, related to Mic/Webcam issues and a Videocard issue

Regarding the issue with the video card:

You should try reinstalling the video card drivers in this order and then check all these settings that need to be made to have it working perfectly.

Regarding the issue with the LCD, please send us an e-mail to AWSocialMedia@dell.com and we will help you as much as we can with this issue. It is so unfortunate that you are having so many troubles with the system and we would like to rectify that.

Alienware-L_Porras
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case and/or replacing parts yourself does not void your warranty!
YouTube Logo Check out our disassemble videos on YouTube
If you need extra assistance please use Facebook Logo Twitter Logo, I can't always reply to PM's

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Remidev
1 Nickel

Thanks so much for the quick reply and links. ill be trying these today and see if they help. thanks again.

0 Kudos
Remidev
1 Nickel

attempted to follow re-install instructions, i think i removed one to many things becuase i was no longer able to see the NVIDIA card anywhere on the computer. after a system restore the card is back. when i followed the instructions for the NVIDIA control panel settings nothing changed. i ran unigine heaven as a benchmarking program after setting it to use the NVIDIA card, and it still was reporting 0% load on GPUZ. going to retry the driver re-instal before i give up and call support.

0 Kudos