Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2015 22:00

Alienware m17x R3 - Win 10 upgrade

Hi, 

I have an Alienware m17x R3 (2011) which came with Win7. Dell/Alienware did not bother to provide updated official drivers for Win8/8.1 on this model.

My question is, should I reserve an upgrade to Win10, will there be any driver support from Dell for this new OS or I'm just stuck with Win7 forever on this Alienware model?

Thank you!

July 29th, 2015 10:00

Did you upgrade or did you do a clean install? I'm trying to get W10 on my 17x R3, and will do a clean install, not the upgrade. Maybe that can fix the issue with the video card. I also want to tell you I recently had to replace my video card and I'm using "Windows" drivers, i do not have the AMD Catalyst installed and its working fine for SWTOR and Ark Survival.

Hope this helps and I also think Dell has to step up with Alienware driver updates.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2015 14:00

it's disgusting that r1 and r2 are supported and not r3, which are newer !!! a shame !!!!!

I think there is some confusion here. The old series M17x-R1/R2/R3/R4 are not supported. The new series Alienware 17-R1/R2 are supported. DELL-Chris M

September 2nd, 2015 16:00

hello, i'm in the same boat you are in.  I think Dell has abandoned its customers and left us in the lurch by not focusing on a path to upgrade to Windows 10 from M17x alienware laptops. 

when will windows 10 ever become available?

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 08:00

thank you very much for your reply.

that was exactly my question :) Is Dell/Alienware planning to offer updated drivers for model m17x R3 to support Win10? currently on the manufacturer website they only offer drivers for Win7.

184 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 08:00

Hi apanait,

Thank you for reaching out to us here, the minimum requirements for any computer to be upgraded to Windows 10 is that the computer will have to be running windows 7 Sp1 or windows 8. Having said that the drivers for the any device that might not be installed after upgrading to Windows 10 will have to be downloaded from the device manufacturer's website, as the generic drivers from the operating system may or may not get installed once you upgrade to Windows10 . Hope this answers your query.

184 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 22:00

Hi apanait,

As we have informed earlier, for any device for which the drivers might not be available on Dell website will have to be checked directly under the device manufacture's website. For Example: if the generic drivers doesn't get installed for an Intel wireless card when you upgrade the system to Windows 10. You will have to check under Intel website for the drivers for that specific model of wireless card. Hope this answers your question.

10 Posts

July 22nd, 2015 06:00

That is really poor support!

I live in Denmark and paid more than 2500$ for my Alienware mx17 - Hence I expect Dell to deliver top quality support, and of course all needed drivers for Windows 10.

That is why I bought Dell Alienware - I want top quality which includes sublime support.

Feel free to contact me, if you need more clarification on topic.

5 Posts

July 29th, 2015 02:00

I agree with the author of this! I am owner of a 2011 r3 17x, and I am already very disappointed to have missed W8 because of lack of support for Dell drivers ...

Today W10 fate, and Dell makes fun of those customers completely! As the author says, I paid my € 2,300 Alienware, and service and support for this device are not at all! this lack of support is highly competitive on gamer forums, and your popularity rating takes a hit for a long time for that! react !!!

and I look like many of your 2011 customers a real solution, a real media PPUR pass W10 smoothly!

sorry for my english "Google", I'm French!

4 Posts

July 29th, 2015 02:00

Well, it happened just as I thought.

I've upgraded to Win10 very smoothly and then realized that my games no longer correctly use the dedicated video card (AMD Radeon HD 6870M) although this shows displayed correctly in Device Manager (using the latest driver to date from july 15, 2015). Games only see and use the Intel 3000 one.

Thing is that the dedicated card on this machine ONLY works with a Dell driver for some obscure reason. The official drivers from AMD don't do the trick.

So thank you Alienware for the great support! I've paid thousands of dollars to you  for the 'best gaming experience' and ended up either stuck with an outdated Win7 or with Win10 but without the possibility to use the machine for what is was designed for (play games).

Shame on you for this lack of consideration to your customers. How hard would have had been really to just provide an updated video driver that would have made the difference between making your product usable or not with a new OS..

4 Posts

July 29th, 2015 11:00

Hi and thank you for your answer.

I had upgraded to Win10 from Win7 so it was not a clean install.

I tried using the 'windows' drivers and the ones from AMD website with 'by the book installs' (completely uninstalling the previous video drivers, catalyst soft and so on) but still the games only see the intel card.

Maybe SWOTR and Ark survival work fine for you because they're using the integrated card instead of the dedicated one?

Can you please let me know what card shows up for you when you run 'dxdiag' in Display tab?

Please let me know if the clean win10 install resolved the issue although I really doubt it.

Thanks again!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 29th, 2015 14:00

All,

Unfortunately, according to the policy document, the M17x series will not be supported on Windows 10. Some users have successfully installed Windows 10 on these non-supported systems. But they did all the driver investigation (example = installing 7/8/8.1 drivers) to force it to work. Dell does not have the resources to do this on non-supported systems.

4477.6735.17xR3no10.JPG

10 Posts

July 29th, 2015 15:00

I surely hope so...My Alienware is not even 2 years old, bought in December 2013.

However - There are still issues with non-working drivers in my end.

No matter how many times I re-run the driver check (incl. on Dells site) I can't fix those issues.

It would be a smart approach to prepare/test all drivers for windows 10, so the end user get the best.

10 Posts

DELL

And for the record - My alienware is from 2013!!

I'm completely !!!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

nyttigbras,

Then you have the new series, not the older MX series. I think there is some confusion here. The old series M17x-R1/R2/R3/R4 are the ones not supported. The new series Alienware 17-R1/R2 are supported which is what the website told you =

Der er en Windows 10 opgradering tilgaengelig
Dell har testet dette produkt for at kunne bekraefte, at det kan opgradere til Windows 10

There is a Windows 10 upgrade available
Dell has tested this product in order to be able to confirm that it can upgrade for Windows 10

The original poster in this thread has the old non-supported MX series which must have confused us later in the thread.

10 Posts

Thank you very much Dell for the clarification!

I invested 2500$ to get a top notch product and this is the support you offer me?

I'm disgusted by your lack of support!!!

Mark my words - I will recommend everyone I know (all sites, networks etc.) to stop using Dell products.

Very ignorant and poor support - Dell is not customer friendly - Completely wrong approach and direction.

No Events found!